Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I took my puppy to the vet for the first time today.
The morning was a rough start. He didn't want to eat his breakfast, and he didn't poop.
On the way to the vet, he threw up in the car and pretty much slept the entire day. He threw up again on the way home, but they said that might happen after some of the vaccines he was given. When we got home, he finally went to the bathroom. After, I gave him a little rub down with some cool water - I figured not such a terrible idea since it was really hot outside. He fell asleep on my lap right after and didn't wake up for a few hours. He was excited for a little while, and I tried to get him to eat a little bit more. Tiny success. Not sure if it's the food, flavor of the prozyme powder, or the flavor of the nutrical. He's been asleep in my lap for the past hour and a half.

I think I've done everything right so far, but he seems a lot less like the way he was yesterday - more playful, willing to chase a ball, etc etc.

I am slightly concerned, I know it was a stressful day and all, but at what point should I be really worried?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Not today. I always feel a little icky after my yearly flu shot for a couple of days. Throwing up in the car could have been motion sickness.

If he's not holding down anything, he needs to go to the vet tomorrow. Otherwise, if he's just a little off, I'd give it till Thursday before calling the vet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you!

He's actually doing much better today. All he needed was a good night's rest and some loving. He gladly ate the nutrical when I offered it on my finger. And he's eating his mixed food now that I switched back to beefy yumminess from the duck. He even let me brush his teeth a tiny bit.

Success!

·
Registered
9,406 Posts
You can always telephone the Vet when you have worries, they understand... especially new owners.

Also, it is very common for a young puppy to throw up after a ride in the car, especially with something in his belly. He'll grow out of that.

I believe that you might be going to the Vet in about a month for the next set of shots... now you know what to expect... But there's a good chance that he'll be fine.

Note: Under all circumstances, it's a good idea to call the Vet when your puppy doesn't eat, [or if the puppy has watery diarrhea...], because these are rare symptoms that easily indicate a sick puppy. On the other hand, occasional loose stools, or vomiting once in a while... are just part of being a dog.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts