Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I changed Gibbs' food because what the breeder had him on isn't easily available in this area, and it's changed his sleep habits. Instead of me waking up first, he's been waking me at about the 6-hour mark. I was waking and getting up early anyway, but it turns out that's not enough sleep for me over time. Somehow that thing about needing less sleep when you're older skipped me. So I'm getting up with him when I hear him and going back to bed for another couple of hours after. He's good with that.

Like LeoRose's puppy, he's noisy. The woman who has his littermate sister says she should have made her registered name Oakwoods Screaming Eagle. That would suit Gibbs too. I think he's a tad better these last couple of days, but if so, it's such a small improvement I'm not sure.

He gets his second vacc next Wednesday, and I figure a week after that things will be easier because I won't be so cautious about getting him out and about. Until good titers are back I'll still be careful, but no longer obsessive.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Gibbs had his 2d vet visit scheduled yesterday, which was a good thing because my hearing aids disappeared from where I'd carelessly left them in the bathroom the day before. I was tired and had forgotten to take them out before going to wash my face and brush my teeth and so pulled them out there and left the on top of the toilet. I'm sure that's what I did, and when I went to get them the next morning, gone.

I'm having trouble believing Gibbs ate them but can't come up with another explanation,. I try to remember to keep the bathroom door closed to keep him out of there and am always mere seconds behind him when he makes it in there. He does like to treasure hunt there. He actually ran out once with a bar of soap that had been on the floor of the shower in his mouth. Even so....

I've torn the house apart in case I'm remembering wrong as to where they were, and nothing. Would he just eat them? Not chew them and leave a little evidence behind? Fortunately for me, the aids are from Costco. There's a one-time three-year replacement warranty, and they're less than 2 years old. Until the replacements come in I'm wearing my old pair and being obsessively careful with them.

Costco says dogs eating aids is a major cause of loss, but I'm still having trouble believing it. Vet says since he's feeling fine (he feels far too energetic for her taste) and is eating and pooping normally, not to worry. The fact is, though, unless some gremlins made their way into my house in the night and stole the aids, Gibbs has to be the guilty party. I didn't do it. The Rotties didn't do it.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Gibbs was 13 weeks old 6/9, and maybe it's the lull before the storm, but he seems to be improving in all ways: can handle up to an hour between potty breaks, less whining and crying when I'm out of sight (sometimes none), less biting of hands and arms, and what there is is more inhibited. Considering I haven't really worked with him on a leash at all, he's halfway decent, knows sit and has puppy recall in the house, knows hand touch and follows the hand to touch.

And he's so friggin' cute I can hardly handle it.

I called today to sign him up for puppy kindergarten starting 7/7. I'm obliged to take him to KPT and Basic Obedience under the breeder's contract. Would do the KPT anyway. Would rather do drop-ins than an Obedience course, but what the heck. He's had his 2d vax and will have blood drawn for titers 6/30, so I ought to have results back before he starts the classes.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Milestone today - I heard a noise that didn't sound right. Sure enough Gibbs had the squeaker out of a fluffy toy. Fortunately, although the breed supposedly tends towards resource guarding in a big way, he's shown no tendencies. He had the squeaker in his mouth but came away from what was left of the toy and let me fish out the squeaker because he wanted the treat in my hand instead.

My guess is all his fluffies will have to be gone before another week passes. At least once my Rottie puppies discovered they could disembowel a stuffed toy that was The End of them all.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
There's a discussion going on elsewhere in the forum that started because people with a Giant Schnauzer puppy have a breeder who wants them to leave her intact till 18-24 months. That makes me wonder if more and more breeders are becoming aware of the latest research concerning spay/neuter and health and changing their usual practice of requiring a pet puppy to be spayed or neutered at or before 6 months.

When I was looking for a puppy, I asked a couple of breeders who seemed like possibilities but had the 6-month requirement in their contracts if they would be willing to change that to 12-18 months, and both were agreeable. Of course the male side of the equation is easier. He may be half of the making of puppies, but he's not the one who gets preggers. They also knew I was not a first-time dog owner.

Anyway, as it turned out Gibbs' breeder is beyond being agreeable to changing contract terms. Her contract actually has penalties if he's neutered before 12 months! I was impressed.

With my Rottie girls it was never a problem because they were show prospects, and I was free to spay at the age I thought best when that obligation was over.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts