Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, my name is Alexi and I am new to this forum so I am not quite sure how the forum works yet.... but I'll get there (eventually lol) :D

My boyfriend and I are adopting a Portuguese Water Dog puppy in a couple of months. We are currently on a reservation list because we did not want to encourage any backyard breeders and we wanted to make sure the breeder was registered to the Canadian Kennel Club (CKC).

The puppy we will get will be a female. All black or black with white spots.

We mostly speak french, therefore we are looking for a name that can easily be pronounced by french speaking people.

We thought of these names :
  • Billie
  • Penny
  • Onyx
  • Zara
We love 2 syllable names that are out of the ordinary. Old fashioned maybe and we love unisex names like Billie or Onyx. We don't like names that we hear too often, for example Bella, Maggie, Daisy, Luna, etc.

Could you please help us by suggesting puppy names? It would be greatly appreciated.

I apologize in advance if this is not the place for this type of post.

Thank you so much in advance:)

Alexi

·
Registered
552 Posts
You may want to delay naming the dog until you had her a few days. Then you can learn her personality.

When I got my MiniS, I had the same dilemma. So I just called him Gou, pronounced Go, its Mandarin for Dog. After a couple weeks he had bonded to me and was never far from me. One late night walk, we happened across a colleague and began chatting. My colleague noticed the dog was never far from me and keyed on everything I did. He also noticed the dog's coloring made him hard to see at night. My colleague said, "That dog is like a shadow. Always by you and disappears in the dark." So, the name Shadow stuck. At that point, we had been together for about 1 month. Now, 3+ years and Shadow is still in my shadow and disappears at night. He's also part Ninja. He moves around on tile floors without making a sound.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You may want to delay naming the dog until you had her a few days. Then you can learn her personality.

When I got my MiniS, I had the same dilemma. So I just called him Gou, pronounced Go, its Mandarin for Dog. After a couple weeks he had bonded to me and was never far from me. One late night walk, we happened across a colleague and began chatting. My colleague noticed the dog was never far from me and keyed on everything I did. He also noticed the dog's coloring made him hard to see at night. My colleague said, "That dog is like a shadow. Always by you and disappears in the dark." So, the name Shadow stuck. At that point, we had been together for about 1 month. Now, 3+ years and Shadow is still in my shadow and disappears at night. He's also part Ninja. He moves around on tile floors without making a sound.
Thank you Knute for such a quick reply and a great point of view.

I will keep that in mind. :)

Your Shadow sure sounds like an awesome dog.

·
Registered
19 Posts
We just named our dog Milo coz he's brownish which looks a bit similar to that chocolate drink Milo. Yeah, we're bad at names, but he likes his name and we didn't train him to remember his name or what "Milo" meant. He just knew.

Hope you could decide a really nice name for your future pup! Good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts