Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone! My name is Alex and I am the new mommy of a beautiful rescue! Her name is Annie and she is an eight week old Beagle pup! I am very happy with her as I think she is with me.

Quick question, though: Annie wakes me up in the middle of the night with hacking. She doesn't do it during the day, though. Should I seek medical attention for this? I've given her a couple days to get over this (she's done it since the day I rescued her), and it happens less, but it still happens at night. With all of my previous dogs, nothing like this ever happened.

Also, lastly, does anyone have any advice about the Lyme Disease vaccine?

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Lyme disease is spread by ticks which commonly find themselves attached to dogs. Lyme disease is not pleasant and causes the dog to act lame due to inflamed joints. Lyme disease can also cause kidney problems which could eventually lead to kidney failure. This vaccine is optional of course, but personally - if it's available in your area, I'd have it done.

The coughing could be a symptom of many possible illnesses or simply an irritated palate. I might bring her in for an overall wellness check and have them do a heartworm test and a good listen to her lungs.

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
I would seek a vets opinion for the coughing. If Lyme is prevalent in your area then I would recommend the vaccine. With any vaccine there can be side effects. The vaccine is not effective against all strains of lyme. Your dog could still get lyme even when vaccinated but the chances are reduced. My dog has the lyme vaccine and we also use frontline monthy.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the tips! Last night, the coughing got worse and Annie couldn't sleep, so we took her to the 24/7 pet hospital a couple towns away. The vet diagnosed her with a small form of Kennel Cough. I was told that she probably contracted it while in her shelter, but her vaccination helped prevent it from being worse. I've been told to take her into the bathroom with me when I shower to help get the bathroom steamy, then tap her chest to help break up the infection.

As for the Lyme Disease Vaccine, where I live there is a lot of grass that is always cut and Annie is free to roam in, but there is also a treeline and a tall prairie area. Neighbors of mine with dogs said they've found a few ticks on their dogs, but their dogs run in the prairie area and I don't let Annie (because honestly, she's to tiny and I'm afraid there are snakes in there since the prairie area is right before a pond). I haven't heard any reports about Lyme Disease in my area, but I honestly feel like Lyme Disease is like a lottery. Since Summer is almost over, I think I'm going to monitor if Annie gets any ticks on her. I also have her on Frontline (well, the shelter put her on it and I plan on re-applying monthly).

I am so thankful for this forum, though, and I'm really excited that I have other dog owners that care to discuss these growth options with me.

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
yeah good luck with the kennel cough its so easy for pups to get it- our berner had it as a pup, it really slowed his growth there for a while, but they catch up fine.... (he is 130 lbs these days)...
no advice on the lyme, we got poultry and our tick problem disappeared never had the shot although we used to apply Frontline Plus cause it killed the ticks on the dogs....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just checked that link and it said my area and surrounding areas are low for tick borne illnesses.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you! The steam treatment seems to have been working. She's been sleeping better and actually coughing the icky stuff out. We're hoping for a full recovery!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts