Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had two dogs already when I added the new puppy to the pack on the 20th. Two dogs I have are related, mother and son, both medium-sized, and they get along very well with no issues between them. The mother is fixed, but the son is not.

Now about the puppy. I called about an add in the paper for "2 free mixed breed puppies" and went to pick her up the same day. I was told over the phone that she was 2 and a half months, and she was half australian shepherd and half jack russell, but when I saw her parents I realized what I had been told about her breed was not accurate. Her father was either a high content border collie, or a full border collie, and the mother may have had jack russell in her but looked more rat terrier-ish.

Anyway, there was a large pack of around 6-10 dogs free on the property. They looked healthy and clean, and most were friendly and allowed us to pet them, but others kept their distance and just barked. The man giving away the puppies said he had caught her earlier in the day when we told him we were coming.

She was in a pen in the back, and when we approached she wedged herself behind the doghouse that was in the pen, and the man had to go in and drag her out. He didn't seem to know a lot about dogs, or dog breeds for that matter. He handed her to me, and she was very scared, her heart beating very fast, but she didn't struggle in my arms or pee on me or anything, so I figured she was just nervous at all the attentions she was getting, and being held by someone she didn't know.

The man didn't have anything he could give me to take home with us that smelled like her pack, so we had to do without. I put her into the cage in the back of the car, where there was a small blanket that came from our other dogs' bed, so she could get used to their scent before she met them. She lay down in the cage and stayed pretty still the whole way home. It may have been the first time she'd ever been in a car.

When we got home, I carried her in the yard in the cage. I wish there had been somewhere neutral to take her to introduce her to the other two, but there was literally nowhere we could go. I opened the cage and gave her some food and water and left her alone. She didn't come out of the cage, but she ate and drank. She was very nervous, though. I went inside and left her in the yard, thinking she'd eventually come out and investigate the yard, but she didn't. I eventually closed the cage and let my older, calmer dog out so they could meet through the cage bars. Then I switched her out for the younger male. She seemed excited to meet both of them. I opened the cage again, but she still wouldn't come out, so we all went back inside and left her in the yard.

She started whining and barking, and it was getting late, so I couldn't leave her outside making that noise. I brought her in inside the cage and brought her upstairs and put her by my bed and went to sleep. She was quiet all night.

When I woke up around 4am she was breathing weird and I realized she was panting very hard. She was licking her lips and yawning, too. All signs of stress, I know. It was a little warm, too, so I turned off the heater and gave her a small amount of water, which she drank very eagerly. I filled the dish multiple times, leaving the cage open as I went to the bathroom to do so. When I came back once she was out of the cage and sitting by my bed. She looked scared as I approached but didn't run back into the cage, so I started giving her the water outside the cage.

Then I took her downstairs, figuring she'd have to pee, and put her out in the yard without the cage. She seemed nervous at first, and I sat out there in a chair and ate some peanut butter crackers, and she took a few bits carefully from my hand, but ran away quickly to eat them.

The she started whining and looking at the other dogs through the glass door. So I let out my calmer dog. She immediately started wagging her tail and acting submissive and they got along perfectly. So I let out the other one, and as soon as they finished sniffing each other they started playing. It was the first time I'd seen her ears up and her tail wagging since I'd brought her home. She seemed much more comfortable and at ease with the dogs than with me and my fiance. Which is understandable, since I don't think she was handled much in her previous home, but she spent a lot of time outside with the other dogs there.

I left her and the other dogs in the yard for most of the day, and my fiance and I went out to play with them with some of their toys. She was very possessive of the toys and kept stealing them and not letting the other dogs having them, even going so far as hoarding them all and keeping them to herself. When one of us approached, she abandoned them and ran away, though. The other dogs let her steal their toys with no aggression issues, but I really want to break her of that habit.

We brought my older two in whenever it was time to feed her, so there was no competition for food, since I think she was a little under-fed for a puppy her age, and I was worried she might guard her food. She slept in the cage downstairs in the room my other two were free in that night, and she was quiet all night. She hasn't messed in her cage yet, either!

I let the three of them out this morning to pee and then separated them again to feed them. It wasn't long before she was whining and barking. I guess she was lonely. I waited until she stopped her noise and then let the other two out again, picking up the remains of her food. They played for a while and then I brought them in. It took a lot of coaxing to get her to come inside on her own. I propped open the door and sat on the couch and the other two went back and forth until she finally followed them into the dining room, which is where I block them off when we're not around. Currently she's laying on the bed with the other two sleeping.

I know that was very long-winded, and probably contained a lot of unnecessary information, but I just wanted to make sure I covered everything.

My concerns: she has let me pet her a few times, but is still very fearful. I would like advice on gaining her trust so that I can start training her! Also, she doesn't know how to walk on a leash and is unfamiliar with collars and harnesses, so any advice there would be lovely as well. And, finally, her resource guarding/stealing. Any tips on how to curb this?

Again, sorry for the long post. If you have any advice for me, any at all, please let me know! Thanks :)

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
It's obvious that you saw all the clear red flags of the bad situation you were getting this puppy from :( so you do have your work cut out for you. Time is what is needed , not having expectations for normal responses that other puppies with a better start in life would give. Sounds like you have a good dog group established and that is what this puppy is able to respond to. Use your individuals in your group to help you lead the pup into learning the daily schedule. and at the same time the pup will learn about you, and interacting with you. Pick one of your established pups to help work with the other pup.. that pup will follow and be calm for your pup being calm working with you. I would keep training at home for right now with this pup, get the pup settled in his new home, settled with working with you and exposing him to learning the basics that you will need outside of your home... like wearing a collar, walking on a lead, giving focus and attention to you, and knowing when you speak you have information and direction to give.. I've kept new dogs on property for up to 3 months or more in some cases, before taking them off property for activities because it was the right time to establish what I needed to have a smooth transition to outside activities with no worries of set backs for their progress.. I don't find rushing them into actives before they ready to be productive... And if a dog isn't ready for more, then it wont be productive learning for doing it. Establish everything you need at home first ..

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
It's obvious that you saw all the clear red flags of the bad situation you were getting this puppy from :( so you do have your work cut out for you. Time is what is needed , not having expectations for normal responses that other puppies with a better start in life would give. Sounds like you have a good dog group established and that is what this puppy is able to respond to. Use your individuals in your group to help you lead the pup into learning the daily schedule. and at the same time the pup will learn about you, and interacting with you. Pick one of your established pups to help work with the other pup.. that pup will follow and be calm for your pup being calm working with you. I would keep training at home for right now with this pup, get the pup settled in his new home, settled with working with you and exposing him to learning the basics that you will need outside of your home... like wearing a collar, walking on a lead, giving focus and attention to you, and knowing when you speak you have information and direction to give.. I've kept new dogs on property for up to 3 months or more in some cases, before taking them off property for activities because it was the right time to establish what I needed to have a smooth transition to outside activities with no worries of set backs for their progress.. I don't find rushing them into actives before they ready to be productive... And if a dog isn't ready for more, then it wont be productive learning for doing it. Establish everything you need at home first ..
+1, the above covers everything you need to know/do to start your pup.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts