Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody! I'm new here and I just picked up my 9 week old Yorkie puppy yesterday! I just had some questions that I was hoping you could all help me with since I'm a new dog owner and really want to do the best I can with my new pup.

On the car ride home he whined a little bit (had no issues with the car movement or anything just missed his home it seems) but then within 15 minutes fell asleep. Once we got home the same kind of thing happened. He whined for maybe half an hour on and off, then fell asleep. He woke up for a bit, played, explored and then it was bed time. We have him in our dining room since it currently has no furniture. I have a crate for him, a puppy pad, food, water, toys, etc all in there. We put him there for the night and again he whined for a little bit and then just went straight to the crate and fell asleep. He seems rather sad and anxious which I guess is normal for his first day. I just was wondering if any of this was normal? I'm stunend at how good he is and how little he whines! I was expecting a sleepless night but he didn't make a peep all night! I'm afraid he's seriosuly traumatized or something and that's why he keeps falling asleep. Is this normal??

Also, this morning we took him out of his area and he was in a much weirder mood then last night. He whined all morning but it was quiet and almost resigned? He would just ran back and forth to each of the family members, stipping to sit at their feet and whine and bite himself. He doesn't have fleas or anything and wasn't biting himself earlier so I'm thinking this is a nervous habit? He seemed very restless even after we took him out and played with him in the yard.

Last question: We leave him home alone during the day. He's in the dining room which is sectioned off and only contains his crate, a pee pad, a bed, toys, food and water. We also leave the radio on. Today is the first day we've done it and it seems its going ok. My mom stops in to check on him at noon during her lunch hour. Once we get home we follow all the tips to not get too excited, etc. While we do work fulltiem we spend almsot all our eveings at home and plan on training, socializing fully during that time. Most people say this is acceptable since while he is home alone for 8 hrs he is well socialized for the rest of the day. What's everyone's opinion on this?

Thanks again everybody!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes. He's already vet checked and I have the papers and such but I want to make sure so I made an appointment for Thursday. Good to know that the sleeping is normal!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Puppies sleep a lot, so don't worry about the sleeping. Since you've only had him for 1 day, you'll probably need to wait a few more days until he is comfortable with you. It will also probably take you a few days to figure out the puppy itself.

8 hours alone isn't really ideal, but as long as you give him a lot of your time when you are at home it should be ok. But don't take him out on walks or to very public places until he has had his shots.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts