Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I was just wondering what you would recommend more, see I live in an apartment complex and I'm adopting a puppy that was found on the street (6 weeks old) so while he adjusts to a house life and his health stabilizes from the change from street to house I was planning to use a synthetic grass trainning mat. But would you recommend that when the time comes when he can go outside we move the potty training outside?

You should know that I'm a student living with other 2 guys in an apartment complex and while I'm most of the time at home or someone always is, I plan to start working this semester so my chances for taking him outside are practically none if I intend to have a somewhat strict/constant schedule.

So I was planning in having a crate where he would sleep in inside my room, so he could always be there with me and see me at night (also I can check on him more efficiently) and have the potty trainning mat in the bathroom which is part of the master bedroom where I sleep (it has a considerable space to move around, approx. 3.5 x 2.5 meters), the mat is about 52 x 77 cm so it will be used all into his adult life when he is full grown, I was told the puppy would grow to be a medium sized dog or a little bigger.

So considering we would let him stay alone some time of the day and there would not be always someone there to help him outside, do you think I'm making the right choice?

Thanks in advance guys!
E. Santiago

·
Registered
8,384 Posts
It is a personal choice to get a puppy, but why right now, at this time of your life when your priorities wont be towards the pup , but towards your school and work and then you add social time with your friends, where dogs can't go. And the dog gets to be in the same room and see you sleep? And your not going to be there to take him out to potty so you want a medium to larger dog to learn to pee and poop on a grass pad in the bathroom. Your in an apartment with two other people that may or may not do right by your pup when your not there. I'm not sure of the attraction to getting a pup at this time that needs more of your time, to grow mentally and physically strong into adulthood especially if they are starting off unhealthy. Everyone likes to Rescue, but is it a better place where the pup is going, then it could be where someone else has more time.

I personally feel your not making the right choice getting a puppy at this time. Because they are demanding and need more then shelter, food & water bowls,, and a place to poop... sorry.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
I agree with Patricia. My puppy needed to be let outside every 20 minutes until he was 4.5 months old when he was awake and active. You're not going to be able to maintain that type of routine, and your roommates likely aren't going to want to, either. Your puppy can't remain in your room, crated, 16 hours a day and then be with you while you sleep for 8 hours.

This sounds like a very poor choice and like the puppy won't be receiving the care and attention he/she needs. With your schedule, I'd advise that you not even get an adult dog, let alone a very young puppy. Unless you have at least 1-2 hours a day to devote to dog activities, you shouldn't own a dog at all.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeh, sadly I would not recommend attempting to care for a puppy at this point especially one of that age with very little training and everything you have going on. I personally do not believe in crate training but I know many people have their valid reasons to do so, but I just find it a little painful to see dogs inside crates when they have an entire house or even just a room to occupy. They also learn nothing about chewing habits or proper behavior (jumping, climbing, biting etc) while being crated and a lot of times the dogs I've encountered who were kept in crates until it was time to give them attention are very pushy and annoying because they were never given social boundaries, only physical ones. I would find him a home where he can have all the attention he needs only because he is so young and without that attention at this point in his life, he can easily become a dog that nobody will adopt or properly care for. Neglecting to spent time with them can also cause major mental issues and they need to learn bite inhibition or they can grow up to be a hard biter or even prone to snapping.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts