Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here. Excuse me if this has been answered somewhere else.
Its been 16 years since I had a puppy so I can't remember the answer to this. Its a Lab and I got him Friday at 7 weeks old. He got dewormed on Wednesday, and it seems he is pooping more than I remembered. About 6 times a day. He eats 1/4 cup of Iams 3 X a day. Is this normal? The stools are formed and normal. TY

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Sounds normal to me. The amount will slowly decease as he ages. You might look into switching him to a higher quality food.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Low quality foods like Iams cause frequent and large stools. It is full of ingredients that are not good for dogs. I highly suggest you switch to a high quality food. You can get one for equal or less price as Iams and your dog will be healthier, you will have less vet bills, and smaller and less frequent poops.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Low quality foods like Iams cause frequent and large stools. It is full of ingredients that are not good for dogs. I highly suggest you switch to a high quality food. You can get one for equal or less price as Iams and your dog will be healthier, you will have less vet bills, and smaller and less frequent poops.
This. Check out dogfoodanalysis.com to compare ingredients in foods. Also, for a lab puppy that is going to be growing a lot watch his weight. 3/4 of a cup sounds like too little to me but if he looks healthy, and not skinny, it's fine. However, at 4-5 months my active doberman puppy was eating upwards of 5 cups of food a day so you may need to increase the amount of food eventually.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Wellness, Taste Of The Wild, Natural Balance, Blue Buffalo Wilderness are all good and can be found at petsmart of petco. Grain free is best but low grain (advertised as limited ingredients) are good too. No corn, wheat, or soy. I also would say a protein source with something either instead of or in addition to chicken. Meat meat is good, you really want to look at the top 5 ingredients first and see how much of that is actually meat. Meat is crucial to dogs.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Raw diet is best, but some great kibble brands are Orijen, Blue Buffalo, Acana, Taste of The Wild, Canidae. You should really go to dog food advisor and check out their list of foods. They sort their reviews by type of food (raw/dry/wet) and then by rating(5 star, 4 star, etc). Mixing wet food with dry is best since dogs on dry kibble don't get as much water as they need. I would try to get at least a 4 star dry food and at least a 3 star canned food if you are using it just as a mixer.

Also make sure it is a NAMED protein source. Like "turkey" or "sardines", not "poultry" or "fish".

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ya I feed raw and am a huge fan, but my dog was on grain free kibble before. I fed Taste of the wild and rotated between the varieties. And added in plain yougurt (live and active probitic yogurt) and tinned sardines or mackeral in water or sometime blue buffalo wilderness added to the kibble.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Ya I feed raw and am a huge fan, but my dog was on grain free kibble before. I fed Taste of the wild and rotated between the varieties. And added in plain yougurt (live and active probitic yogurt) and tinned sardines or mackeral in water or sometime blue buffalo wilderness added to the kibble.
My dogs were on taste of the wild before I put them to raw too! Also, they loooove yogurt. I like to put a little in a kong and freeze it. I have never actually fed sardines to my dogs but I will have to try it. They love stinky food like that.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Mine is on Wellness Core. It's grain free, and all of his itchy magically disappeared. He also poops once a day and it's not too bad smelling for what it is. And his coat is gorgeous now.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I just want to add one more suggestion. My labs pups started out on Iams also. They did fine on it, but I did move over to TOTW and I like it a lot better. Just want to say, the poop schedule your seeing is perfectly normal for a 7 week old pup. I would give him a few more months on his current food before switching over. Let him get acclimated to a schedule and let his digestive system mature a little. There's no hurry to switch.

Mine were fed 3 times a day. They pooped 1st thing in the morning, then again before lunch, again right before dinner and then one more time before bed. I should add, they were crated for 2-3 hours in between meals.

·
Registered
468 Posts
I just want to add one more suggestion. My labs pups started out on Iams also. They did fine on it, but I did move over to TOTW and I like it a lot better. Just want to say, the poop schedule your seeing is perfectly normal for a 7 week old pup. I would give him a few more months on his current food before switching over. Let him get acclimated to a schedule and let his digestive system mature a little. There's no hurry to switch.

Mine were fed 3 times a day. They pooped 1st thing in the morning, then again before lunch, again right before dinner and then one more time before bed. I should add, they were crated for 2-3 hours in between meals.
I would actually switch as soon as possible. Iams is a crappy food and puppies especially need high quality food for their developing bodies.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Thanks so much. I took him to the vet today and he has coccidia, which he was put on Albon for 10 days. So it looks like it wasn't the food after all. I am still going to change to something more beneficial as far as food. goes. Maybe not for awhile. What is TOTW?. I have a petsmart in my area and am trying to decide which brand to switch him to.
Something not too expensive, I heard that Blue Mountain is alot, maybe Innova. The vet gave me Science diet. Any pros or cons on that? This is my 6th lab and want to do right by him. I use to have them on Bench and Field but can't find it my area anymore. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and they are already.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Science Diet is not very good either. The makers of Science Diet often provide some type of sponsorship or kickbacks to vets, so they carry and promote their food. I'm not always saying that's the case, sometimes it's just that vets don't know much about the different foods out there. I usually leave the practicing of medicine for the vets, but go elsewhere for nutrition or training/behavioral advice.

We fed Canidae All Life Stages first, it was fine, but we wanted a change, so we switched to Blue Buffalo, which we like.
TOTW is Taste of the West, I'm pretty sure Petsmart carries it.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Thanks so much. I took him to the vet today and he has coccidia, which he was put on Albon for 10 days. So it looks like it wasn't the food after all. I am still going to change to something more beneficial as far as food. goes. Maybe not for awhile. What is TOTW?. I have a petsmart in my area and am trying to decide which brand to switch him to.
Something not too expensive, I heard that Blue Mountain is alot, maybe Innova. The vet gave me Science diet. Any pros or cons on that? This is my 6th lab and want to do right by him. I use to have them on Bench and Field but can't find it my area anymore. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and they are already.
Since he is a growing pup NOW is the time that high-quality nutrition matters! His bones are growing and he is developing, this is the time when the good kibble should be fed. I would not wait. Science Diet is pretty bad as well. Full of fillers and has very little meat, and very expensive for what you are getting. Innova is a great food. I would also recommend, Orijen, Acana, Blue Buffalo, Taste of the Wild (TOTW), and Canidae. There are lots others but I just can't think of them right now lol. These foods seem expensive at first but because of their high-quality ingredients you feed MUCH less than you would on something like Science Diet or Purina.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
TOTW is Taste of the Wild, the Petsmart in our area doesn't carry it. We normally go to the specialty shops, but you can get it on line as well. Another easy to digest food is California Naturals. It might be a nice transitional food for you. Mine did well on Lamb and Rice. Again, not a Petsmart product.

I've heard good things about Blue Buffalo, but I agree with Doxiemommy. I've never heard anything good about Science Diet. Vets always seem to be pushing it though and it's widely known that Science Diet markets the veterinarians heavily.

Most lab folks I know feed TOTW, Californian Naturals, ProPlan, Blue Mountain or Orijen.

I've heard too many stories about food being switched up at too early of an age and then spending lots of time at the vet or switching to other foods again and again, because the food they switched to is too rich, or not working out. I think a nice stable start is the way to go and its one of the many pieces of advice I hear from lab breeders as well. If you are working with a good breeder, it's best to stay with what their line has done well with, (or for at least a little while).

·
Registered
468 Posts
TOTW is Taste of the Wild, the Petsmart in our area doesn't carry it. We normally go to the specialty shops, but you can get it on line as well. Another easy to digest food is California Naturals. It might be a nice transitional food for you. Mine did well on Lamb and Rice. Again, not a Petsmart product.

I've heard good things about Blue Buffalo, but I agree with Doxiemommy. I've never heard anything good about Science Diet. Vets always seem to be pushing it though and it's widely known that Science Diet markets the veterinarians heavily.

Most lab folks I know feed TOTW, Californian Naturals, ProPlan, Blue Mountain or Orijen.
I would recommend avoiding anything from Purina.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Canidae ALS is good solid food that won't send you to the poor house while feeding it. I did not even know they still sold Bench & Field, I never liked it.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I would recommend avoiding anything from Purina.
I appreciate that you feel that way, but many labs and labs breeders do exceptionally well on ProPlan. In fact 88 out of 100 AKC all breed champions eat Pro Plan, or at least that;s the latest statistic I heard. Can't be that bad.....

If your dog does well on a particular food, that's all that really matters.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I appreciate that you feel that way, but many labs and labs breeders do exceptionally well on ProPlan. In fact 88 out of 100 AKC all breed champions eat Pro Plan, or at least that;s the latest statistic I heard. Can't be that bad.....

If your dog does well on a particular food, that's all that really matters.
Agreed and it's priced so that most can afford it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts