Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I got my 8 week old maremma/GSD mix pup yesterday evening. So keep in mind he's very very new to the house.

I've had dogs all my life, and my last GSD passed in january. My cat, Wanda, is 3 years old and was raised with the GSD and a bichon shihtzu. She's never really cared about either of them and has cohabited peacefully.

However, this new pup seems to terrify her. He hasn't approached her, as he seems scared too. But whenever she's within 10 feet of him, she starts growling and hissing. If he gets to close she does a sort of 'fake out' run at him, which terrifies the pup even more. I don't need them to be buddies or to snuggle each other, and I don't expect that. But I would like some reassurance and some tips that eventually she'll get used to him. I thought she'd be fine considering she's been around dogs her entire life, even before I got her.

I'm thinking her fear is two things. One, she's never interacted with a puppy before, only calmer, adult dogs that don't really have any interest in her. Two, he's a change. We haven't gotten a new pet since she'd arrived. I think she's also frustrated because she's usually sleeping on my bed at night, but with the pups crate right beside it for the time being, she's had to sleep elsewhere this passed night.

My cat is my baby, but so is this puppy. I really need her to feel comfortable. What can I do?

·
Registered
7,443 Posts
She'll likely get over it. Cats are weird. Last time one of my cats had to go to the vet to get his teeth cleaned, he was only gone for about eight hours, but when he got home, he smelled different and the other cats didn't recognize him. They hated him for several days and would hiss and try to attack him if he got close. They settled down and were cuddling with him again within a week, though. You've only had this pup for one day. Keep him and the cat separated, let them get used to each others' smell and presence, and they'll most likely be fine.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Make sure the cat has her own space with food and water, a place the dog cannot get to. On the washer or dryer, on a side table, on the dresser, someplace up high that the cat can easily get to but, the puppy cannot. That lets the cat know she still has a place and is wanted there and, removes her worries over the puppy eating her food. Her needs are met, she will learn to live with the puppy. Just make sure the puppy can't get to the litter box and eat cat poop, dogs love the stuff and, eating too much litter could cause an obstruction.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts