Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hubby and I just brought home our new German Shepherd puppy. He is only 7 weeks old (I know now, he is a little too young to be away from mom). We are on day 2 of having him home and I don't know what to do.. I am at the point of tears. He cries almost all of the time, unless he is sleeping. He howls and screams if we put him in his crate (we are wanting to crate train) and I take him out regularly to pee but he won't pee outside. He waits until we come back in and then he pees on the carpet. I didn't sleep well at all last night because he cried and whined (LOUD). I am desperate for some help. Any suggestions at all would be sooooooo appreciated! PLEASE

·
Registered
703 Posts
Do you know about Crate Games from Susan Garrett?

And the Ian Dunbar free downloads at http://www.dogstardaily.com/?

2 days is sooooooo new!!

When my puppies would howl, we just held them until they quieted down. They were rescues, ad really missed their mommy and littermates. Any chance she could still spend a week or two with mom and siblings? It might make things easier on everyone. Bite inhibition is developing at this age, and it's critical t their healthy development.

My hubby and I just brought home our new German Shepherd puppy. He is only 7 weeks old (I know now, he is a little too young to be away from mom). We are on day 2 of having him home and I don't know what to do.. I am at the point of tears. He cries almost all of the time, unless he is sleeping. He howls and screams if we put him in his crate (we are wanting to crate train) and I take him out regularly to pee but he won't pee outside. He waits until we come back in and then he pees on the carpet. I didn't sleep well at all last night because he cried and whined (LOUD). I am desperate for some help. Any suggestions at all would be sooooooo appreciated! PLEASE

·
Registered
89 Posts
That is normal for new puppies. You just have to ignore it, eventually the pup will stop when he feels safe that you are still there. If you have trouble sleeping, try ear plugs.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Fearghas did the same thing! I would put a recently worn shirt that I didn't really care about in the crate with him and it seemed to help. It's still there. I take it out wash it wear it and back in it goes. He looks for it.
Where is your pups crate? He might do better if he's in the same room as you. Try it on a weekend when sleep isn't as important as during the work week. My hubby slept with ear plugs in, me, I can sleep through anything. Have you tried a hot water bottle wrapped up? A ticking clock? I downloaded a heart beat app on my phone and charged it next to his crate so he'd have the heart beat close to him.
Try to tire him out before bedtime. That might help him sleep. Fearghas now has a kong that he loves, but when we first got him, he could care less about it, even stuffed. Hide bits of kibble in his crate, it'll keep him busy looking for it for a bit.
Hope that helps. It does get better.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My puppy never really howled or cried when I first got it, but I did read a lot online in case she did. The main thing is don't go in and see it when it cries. It will begin to see this as an incentive for its howling and will expect you to be there to comfort it every time it cries. Being so young it will be missing its mum and brothers and sisters - and so maybe try wrapping a clock in a towel or blanket and placing it in the crate with it. The ticking of the clock is soothing as they associate it with their mums heart beat. Other than that, I'm not sure. Just try to ignore it, and maybe only go in to give it a quick pat to remind it that you are still there. Good luck, and hopefully it will get better soon!

·
Registered
740 Posts
Put him in his crate right next to your bed, and as you put him in for bed time, say "Good boy!" in a really low, calming voice. Then, get into bed yourself and put your fingers through the crate so he has your scent close. Or, what I did was when he was in his crate, I laid on the floor next to him with my back turned to him and he would fall asleep faster.

Make sure to always ignore whining/crying unless you think he has to go potty, otherwise it'll be a habit for him

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
It takes about 3 nights for a new pup to calm down and sleep alone... tonight's the night?

Be sure to do lots of people, dog, and animal socialization; take him on short errands to get used to other places; after he has all of his shots, try to find some pups with the same energy level for him to socialize with and play with.

·
Registered
125 Posts
How is the new pup? :)

I have been following the thread hoping for good news :)

·
Banned
126 Posts
Whatever you do, do not give positive attention and comfort when the dog howls.
When we had our puppy, and he howled we would bang spoons against the crate (which he hates). Eventually he learned to not howl.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts