Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

This is my first time to this site. And I'm sure I will get the most help here. I am so looking forward to reading through the threads.

We just got our new puppy this past weekend. He is an 8 week old Olde English Bulldogge. His name is Tank and he is the new love of our life. My heart is breaking though today because this was the first day we had to leave him because we had to go to work.

At night we are doing the crate training. He sleeps in his crate and when we wake up in the morning; take him potty and then he sleeps in our bed until it's time for us to leave. Last night was the worst night in the crate; but I am sure the first couple of days are going to be the hardest. He's been very good though; hasn't had any accidents in his crate so far.

As for when we have to go to work. I put a gate up at the entry into our master bathroom. Which is all tile. He has his blankets; his 'fake grass' potty place; and lots of toys and his water and his food for the morning. It just hurts to hear him crying.

Has anyone else been in the same boat as me. Does it get easier.

Thanks so much.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Yes, it gets easier. Just don't respond to the whining, and he'll stop. He's just scared and lonely. He's used to being around his mom and littermates, and now he's not. But he'll get used to his new home soon enough.

Just remember: whatever you reward (with attention) now, he'll be doing every day for the next 15 years or so. If you like whining, reward it. If you don't think you'll like whining so much in a year, don't reward it.

Puppies are tough. They are time consuming and frustrating, but eventually they turn into dogs, and if you put in the time now, your reward is many years with a well behaved dog.

And it breaks my heart to go to work, too. I'd much rather stay home all day and pay attention to my dog.

Oh, yeah, this board has a strict rule about mentioning puppies: you must provide us with cute pictures of the puppy to coo over!

·
Registered
367 Posts
I would stick with the crate day and night until he is completely potty trained. I have a 6 month old shepherd that at 3 months I had to leave in a crate while I went to work. Most days my son was able to come home half way through the day to let her out, which I was thankful for. So at 12 weeks she was in the crate about 4-5 hours at a time. Until I knew she was completely potty trained she stayed there, now she sleeps with me at night and spends part of the day in the crate. If a pup has to much room, it tends to have accidents and you will never get him trained. They also will find things to do if they get bored. Good luck, I just met someone who had the same dog as you, it was a nice looking dog!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's the only problem. We are gone for at least 8 hours a day with work and commute; so I don't think it's right to leave him in the crate all day. He's confined to the Master Bathroom for now. This is going to be his first day; so we'll see what happens. Hopefully the crate training at night will help with the potty training. I guess it will just be trial and error for a while. When we are home and downstairs with him roaming around; we take him out each time he stops playing; or is done eating; or starts sniffing or walking in circles. He's been good so far; only a couple accidents in the house.

How do I make my picture show on the left under my name?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Do you have anyone that can come in half way through the day to let him out? They say and from experience I believe its true, you can potty train a dog in a week. I have taken vacation time in the past to do so...I know I'm crazy but I hear you and know where your coming from..I'm just scared that he's going to end up a mess and maybe even destroy something or hurt himself.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunately I don't have anyone that can go mid day. For now I'm just going to keep leaving him in the master bathroom when we're at work and do the crate training at night. But now I'm so torn. Feel like there's so much information and I want to do everything right for our pup. I'm not sure if I should leave the crate in our bedroom where it is now; or leave it downstairs in the living room; that way when we are downstairs and home he can go in and out of his crate if he wants. If we leave it in our bedroom upstairs; he usually will only go in it when it's bed time. I'm torn.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I was faced with this same problem when I got my Kelpie mix puppy this past summer at 7.5 weeks old. It was my first time raising/training a puppy as I got my other dog when he was a bit older...however I can tell you one thing, it DOES get easier.. but you have to take the neccessary steps and make the little extra efforts now in order for it to be a breeze in a few months.

I had the exact same problem - gone away to work for 9-10 hrs/day with commute. However, I took an extra 2 days off after the weekend I had gotten him.. (so 4 days total) to help my puppy get settled in the new home and nail down a daily routine with him. For the first month or so I did pretty much what you are doing - crated him at night, and during the days I used baby gate and sectioned him off to the back laundry/porch room in my house. Absolutely puppy-proofed nothing he could harm, and fortunately our back door going to the backyard was a part of his "puppy room", so I put newspapers down in front of the door and he quickly became paper trained during the days. Not once did he ever poop in his puppy room, he would pee twice a day on the news papers. Because it was not convenient to take apart and lug his crate up and down the stairs from living room to bedroom x amount of times per day, I just used his puppy room for crate training while we were home and downstairs in the kitchen/living area, and took him outside to potty about every 45 minutes, after he ate, after play time, etc, and if he didn't go potty, he would stay in his puppy room until he did go.

Eventually, as he got a bit older I had to buy another kennel. He started digging holes in the walls and chewing the corners of the wall, etc in his puppy room and I can't blame him because I am gone for so long and no doubt he was getting bored, despite all the treats, kongs, toys etc I left for him. So when he was about 5 months old, I went and bought a huge 4 ft x 4ft x 4ft pen with a roof and put it in my kitchen (this isn't ideal for everyone but I have a large kitchen so it worked for me) He's a small dog and this pen is more than sufficient amount of area for him to be in during the work days. It prevented him from furthering any damage to my walls, so it worked for us. He's 9 months old now, completely house/potty trained but I keep him in this pen during the work days still. I give him free roam of the house for short periods of time, like when i'm taking a shower, run to the store, etc but when were gone for long periods he goes into the large pen and he's totally fine with it. Lots of room for him to move about and its actually a slightly bigger floor space than any bathroom and its the exact same size as the puppy room he was previously confined it. He sleeps mostly through the days anyway but I dont gotta worry about him. At night he usually sleeps in the smaller crate that I had gotten for him originally, sometimes he's allowed to sleep in bed and sometimes he sleeps on the floor, etc but I try to always make sure he sleeps in the crate most of the time so he doesn't abandone it or come to dislike it. I can leave the crate door open now throughout the night and he doesn't come out until I say so.

I think you just have to find out what works for you and the puppy, but do be aware of walls! lol believe me - even if its a completely flat section of the wall, they can destroy it. This is when crates come in handy. And if you have to have two for convenience purposes - then do it. I have two and even if we go out of town and bring the dogs with us, I bring both of mine along so that if we are gone for a day he can still be in his nice big pen during longer hours and he's only in the small crate at night. It's worked perfectly for me for the last 3 or 4 months :)

Good luck and please post pics!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thank you sooooooooo much Pack Mamma! This is all such great information and a huge help. I am definitely curious about the pen that you got him. Any chance you could email me a picture of what you're talking about; or even post a link. I am worried about the walls and even the cabinets. Tank does have a huge space to roam around in the master bath; but he's a chewer; so I am a bit nervous about the walls. This being his first day home alone; I'm sure we will learn a lot when we get home from work. :) I can't thank you enough for your post and such helpful information.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well my boyfriend got home early today and things weren't as good as we had hoped. Apparantly Tank stepped through his poop and tracked it around the bathroom. Poor baby. And he took him outside immediately so he could go to the bathroom; but he wouldn't go. Is that normal behavior? He's probably scared? It was his first time left alone since we got hime. My heart is breaking for my lil guy.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Do you have anyone that can come in half way through the day to let him out? They say and from experience I believe its true, you can potty train a dog in a week. I have taken vacation time in the past to do so...I know I'm crazy but I hear you and know where your coming from..I'm just scared that he's going to end up a mess and maybe even destroy something or hurt himself.
"They" say? Who's they? Maybe in your experience you potty trained a dog in a week, but many, many puppies can't be potty trained in a week. The primary reason for that is that a puppy just physically doesn't have complete control of his/her bladder til about 6 months of age, give or take. That is just a physical fact. In fact, very young puppies don't even get "signals" from their body that they need to pee/poop. It seems to happen from out of the blue. As they age, they start to get those "signals" or feelings, and they realize what they mean. But, really, there IS a disconnect between what a puppy might UNDERSTAND, and what they can PHYSICALLY do, as far as potty training.

NOW, that said, if you are really, really vigilant about getting the puppy out on a schedule that FITS the puppy's physical ability to hold it, your puppy may NEVER have an accident. But, that's simply because YOU are really good at PREVENTING accidents, NOT because the puppy is 100% potty trained and can hold it 8-10 hours a day.

Tank's Momma, his crate training at night doesn't really have anything to do with potty training during the day. At night, body systems slow down: breathing slows, blood pressure is down, heart rate is lower, digestion slows, etc. So, less urine is produced. THAT'S why it's easier for them to hold it at night. That doesn't affect his ability to hold it during the day.

Just be aware that Tank WILL have accidents when you're at work, he's just to young to hold it 8 hours. And, when you're at work, you can't take him out often enough. So, when you're home, make sure you really vigilantly work on potty training, to make up for the lack of potty training during the day. Take him out every 30-40 minutes, PLUS after eating/drinking/playing/exercising/waking up, etc. And, watch him like a hawk!

He's adorable! :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you Doxiemommy. Yes; when we are home he doesn't go out of our site and as soon as he is done either eating or playing or if he starts sniffing around; the first thing we do is take him outside and we stay out there until he goes potty. And once he does; there is lots and lots of praise and 'good boys' and an occasional treat. We take him out of the house the same way each time and the same area in the backyard each time.

During the day when he's left alone; he has a fake grass pad in the bathroom with him. Every time we have placed him on there to go potty he has gone with no problem; but it seems today he didn't go there on his own. Luckily in the bathroom he's in, it is all tile so not too much of a mess. Any suggestions on what to mop the floor with to hopefully remove the enzymes?

Hoping tomorrow and the days that follow things get better. I appreciate all the feedback and advice. It seems so overwhelming sometimes with all the info. We just want to do everything right for him.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Put newspaper down all over to make it easier to clean up.

Clean up using vinegar or Enzyme cleaner from the Pet stores. Dogs continue to go where they smell previous poop/pee.

Make sure there is nothing harmful for him to chew (power cords, small objects, shoes, socks, toilet paper....)

It's a little late, but it is safer to use the private mail function, rather than posting your personal email, that anyone can find....

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Make sure there is nothing harmful for him to chew (power cords, small objects, shoes, socks, toilet paper....)

It's a little late, but it is safer to use the private mail function, rather than posting your personal email, that anyone can find....
Oops; thank you for the tip on the email. I guess I should've thought on that one before typing. :/

And yes; we have completely puppy proofed the bathroom; outlet covers and the baby proof cabinet locks. And the toilet is separate from the main part of the bathroom; so it's just all tile floor in there. We have found that he loves to play in the wardrobe mirrors. So cute!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Here is what my big crate looks like, basically its what they call an 'x-pen', I meant to take an actual photo of mine and my set up, which I will try to do tonight if it helps any, but for now, this is what mine is - but I got the roof for it, which is sold separately, and I form mine into a square shape and stick it in the far corner of my kitchen, i have a enormous kitchen/dining area so this actually fits and looks quite nice. I use the top for storage space for the dog food, etc. haha. Mine is 4 ft tall, and when shaped into a square its 4ft wide and 4 ft long.

http://c.shld.net/rpx/i/s/pi/mp/20022/5916863808p?src=http://images.doba.com/products/1529/images_P130_image2_544_36.jpg&d=345442b75e51203c4cac525630839b94bd423a04

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh yes I have seen those before. Thanks so much for posting this.

Oh my goodness I am beside myself with Tank. We put him in his crate at bed time. Usually place him in there when he's super tired and he just falls asleep. But then after about 3 hours he wakes up and the barking and whining starts and goes on for over an hour. Is this all normal? Does it just get better over time? When he is whining we just stay quiet and ignore him. We don't react to it.

Is there anything I should be doing differently?

·
Registered
468 Posts
How many times a night are you taking him to pee pee? Since he is still young I would take him to use the potty outside at least once throughout the night. That could help with the barking possibly. And if you do night time potty breaks make sure it is as boring as possible. Let him know that he isn't being let out to play, it is strictly business. When I was potty training my Maltese, he needed night time potty breaks for the first two weeks. He would start whimpering about 2-4 in the morning, and I would let him out and take him to the pee place. I literally just walked him over to the area and stood there. He tried to jump on my legs for attention and be all cute so I would pet him, and when I didn't pay him any attention he just sat there staring at me for a few seconds. Finally he gave up on playing and went potty. Eventually his attempts at playing eased down and then stopped altogether, he just went straight out to pee.

I'm not sure if your dog just needs to potty throughout throughout the night or is crying for some other reason. Hopefully someone with a bit more puppy experience can help out.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I agree, he's so young, I would take him out once during the night. Straight out, no cuddling, playing, and straight back. If you do decide to try it, and he doesn't actually go pee during the night, then maybe he doesn't need the middle of the night trip. Some puppies do, some don't. It could also be that he's very young, and, just like human babies, very young puppies don't always know how to "self soothe" or relax enough to go back to sleep. He'll learn.

As far as potty training when you take him outside, you said you "occasionally" give him treats. It will probably work faster if you ALWAYS give him potty treats until he's potty trained. They usually learn faster with lots of immediate positive rewards. Make sure that you say "good potty!" as soon as he actually starts to pee, and give him the treat as soon as he's done. Treats can be very small, the size of your pinky fingernail.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
We tried taking him out the first night in the middle of the night and putting him right back. But he didn't go pee when we took him out. We don't take him out in the middle of the night now and he doesn't have any accidents in his crate.

First thing when we wake up in the morning; we take him straight to his potty pad (which is the fake grass). When he does go potty whether it's on his pad or in the backyard; we always give him lots and lots of praise and the occasional treat.

Hopefully in the next week or 2 it will get better. I wonder if it's a bad thing that I put him in the crate when he's already asleep. He usually falls asleep with us and then I place him in his crate. And it's about 3-4 hours later that he gets up. And the whining and barking doesn't stop for a very long time.

Last night I started playing with him with his crate. I laid right by the entry and put his toy inside and played with him. He'd try to run out and i would just put him back and squeak his toy or talk softly to him letting him know it's okay. Then I would let him run out and I would toss the toy back in and he'd go in and get it. Hopefully this will start to help him know that his crate is a safe place.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
"They" say? Who's they? Maybe in your experience you potty trained a dog in a week, but many, many puppies can't be potty trained in a week. The primary reason for that is that a puppy just physically doesn't have complete control of his/her bladder til about 6 months of age, give or take. That is just a physical fact. In fact, very young puppies don't even get "signals" from their body that they need to pee/poop. It seems to happen from out of the blue. As they age, they start to get those "signals" or feelings, and they realize what they mean. But, really, there IS a disconnect between what a puppy might UNDERSTAND, and what they can PHYSICALLY do, as far as potty training.
I also would like to know who "they" is.

·
Registered
367 Posts

NOW, that said, if you are really, really vigilant about getting the puppy out on a schedule that FITS the puppy's physical ability to hold it, your puppy may NEVER have an accident. But, that's simply because YOU are really good at PREVENTING accidents, NOT because the puppy is 100% potty trained and can hold it 8-10 hours a day.

Tank's Momma, his crate training at night doesn't really have anything to do with potty training during the day. At night, body systems slow down: breathing slows, blood pressure is down, heart rate is lower, digestion slows, etc. So, less urine is produced. THAT'S why it's easier for them to hold it at night. That doesn't affect his ability to hold it during the day.

Just be aware that Tank WILL have accidents when you're at work, he's just to young to hold it 8 hours. And, when you're at work, you can't take him out often enough. So, when you're home, make sure you really vigilantly work on potty training, to make up for the lack of potty training during the day. Take him out every 30-40 minutes, PLUS after eating/drinking/playing/exercising/waking up, etc. And, watch him like a hawk!

He's adorable! :)

I work 8 hours a day and my pup at this age held it in the crate....three dogs in a row potty trained...yes lot of work on my part but I chose to do it and get it done so it was done and I didn't have to worry about it. If you use 10 different methods to try to train the dog, then no it won't work. A puppy will sometimes get up 2-3 times in the middle of the night and they need to be taken out when they get up. There is no way that a dog will understand the concept of being potty trained when we are using newspapers, crates, bathrooms, etc....it has to be consistent or else you can count on 10-12 years of accidents in your house.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts