Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
O.K so we picked up our wee samoyed puppy called Meiko 2 weeks ago... now his toilet training is going o.k.... he goes on his puppy mats for pees but whines at the back door if were up. Since weve had him weve tried to leave him alone in the hall or kitchen for at least ten minutes a day so he gets used to being himself... but when we leave him he destroys the place and barks like mad he rips all the puppy mats and newspaper up and pees everywhere..... i dont want to crate him so any ideas??

anyone............

·
Registered
184 Posts
O.K so we picked up our wee samoyed puppy called Meiko 2 weeks ago... now his toilet training is going o.k.... he goes on his puppy mats for pees but whines at the back door if were up. Since weve had him weve tried to leave him alone in the hall or kitchen for at least ten minutes a day so he gets used to being himself... but when we leave him he destroys the place and barks like mad he rips all the puppy mats and newspaper up and pees everywhere..... i dont want to crate him so any ideas??

anyone............
I'd say he's confused on where to go potty. I'd either stick to the puppy pads or taking him outside. But I'm no expert.

Also, I'd try and get a diffuser from Comfort Zone. It plugs in an outlet and helps calm puppies and dogs with this kind of behavior. It's non-toxic and it's not a drug. Hope I helped a little. Good luck! :D

·
Registered
343 Posts
Things will only get more difficult for you if you do not crate train. Bored samoyeds when left to their own devices are very, very destructive.

He is small now- and imagine the damage he'll do at 6 months...

Crate training will keep both your dog and your house safe while you are gone. I cannot emphasize enough the importance of crate training.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'd say he's confused on where to go potty. I'd either stick to the puppy pads or taking him outside. But I'm no expert.
I agree with this. I would take him outside if that is the ultimate goal.

Can't help ya on the other problems, all my dogs are crate trained. Why don't you want to crate him?

·
Registered
494 Posts
I would think that you pooch has Separation Anxiety. You are actually doing well in leaving your pup along to get him used to not having with him 24/7 but you started with too much. First start with a couple seconds and gradually build up to those 10 minutes. Praise only good behavior. The DAP might work and it might not, just depends on the dog; its worth a try if you think it will calm your dog down.

Why don't you want to crate train? It is a good solution and your pooch would feel much safer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Sounds that way to me too.

And if your absolutely 110% sure you do not want to crate train. For your own puppies safety. Maybe puppy proof a bathroom or mud room ect. But I think crate training is the best way possible to keep him from destroying the house.

Also he may have some seperation anxiety.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I would think that you pooch has Separation Anxiety. You are actually doing well in leaving your pup along to get him used to not having with him 24/7 but you started with too much. First start with a couple seconds and gradually build up to those 10 minutes. Praise only good behavior. The DAP might work and it might not, just depends on the dog; its worth a try if you think it will calm your dog down.

Why don't you want to crate train? It is a good solution and your pooch would feel much safer.
I agree with this. Maybe a few seconds, then 30 seconds, then 1 minute... and so on. But only move on to the next time amount if they did well the last time. I agree that either dog-proofing a bathroom/mud room is best, OTHER than a crate. They might like the crate more if it's nice and comfy in there and possibly put your t-shirt in there that you wore the day before.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just really dont want to dont like them at all and they take up large amounts of room.

The hall is puppy proof which is where he is left and i am traning him to go outside but if im not in then he needs to go somehwhere wich is why the mats are down... But he destroys everthig like rips the puppy mats up and the newspaper etc even if he is left toys i was thinking about the kitchen with a baby gate at the door so that he can still see the rest of the house etc

·
Registered
184 Posts
yes i agree with moving him to the kitchen! just make sure it's dog-proofed! even if you don't want a crate forever it would be helpful just for now. but if you are set against them then i guess try the kitchen. i'd also really recommend getting a DAP from Comfort Zone. Look it up :) It might help with the destroying of property and will help calm. :)

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
You could also get an exercise pen. They take up more room than a crate, but they're collapsable and can be stored away. If the pup is destructive while you're away, I would worry that he might chew kitchen cupboards or something. Make sure to tire your pup out before leaving him alone.

·
Registered
184 Posts
You could also get an exercise pen. They take up more room than a crate, but they're collapsable and can be stored away. If the pup is destructive while you're away, I would worry that he might chew kitchen cupboards or something. Make sure to tire your pup out before leaving him alone.
I agree with this 100%. I didn't think about the kitchen cupboards. An exercise pen/ playpen would work depending on the size of your pup. I'm guessing not too big if it's a pup. :p Could still be in the kitchen, but inside the playpen. And it might be ready to go in there and relax or play/chew on it's toys once you've fed, walked/played, and taken outside to potty. then it might be tuckered out. lol.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Oh wow! How can anything that fluffy possibly be bad when left alone.lol.

You know something just occured to me. Samoyed are work dogs, they should always have something to do. You must physically AND mentally stimulate them. Make sure you are taking that pooch on lots of walks and playing many different games. A good run before leaving him alone might calm him down more than you know;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts