Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am brand new to this board because I am a new mom to adorable 8 week old Mr. Sparkles, an English Bulldog. We got him on Saturday, and by Sunday, he was having severe diarrhea and then threw up. We immediately took him to the hospital where he was diagnosed with Parvo. I went to see him today and he is doing better, but they say not to get my hopes up. My question is, if the dog does survive, will he be ok? I heard they can have life long intestinal issues, or other organ problems as the virus infects the organs. Also, since it is a viral disease, is he contagious? Can a puppy never come into our house?

Thanks so much in advance :)

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
It is VERY contagious. The virus can live in the soil for a year. Do not bring any pups under 4 mths old that haven't had all 3 of their series of vaccinations into your home. Notify the breeder that the puppy has parvo. Most good breeders offer a health guarantee for 5 days or so, and will pay your vet bills. That's assuming you bought him from a good breeder not a backyard breeder.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
It takes one to two weeks for parvo symptoms to manifest after exposure which means your pup caught parvo while with the breeder. You should definitely talk to the breeder and ask for them to pay the vet bills and make them aware that probably all of their puppies are potentially sick and contagious.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Everything is being paid for, that is not the issue. It's weather or not the dog will be healthy if it survives, and is it contagious since a virus does not leave the system, can it never be around other dogs, especially pups. Make sense?! thanks :)

It takes one to two weeks for parvo symptoms to manifest after exposure which means your pup caught parvo while with the breeder. You should definitely talk to the breeder and ask for them to pay the vet bills and make them aware that probably all of their puppies are potentially sick and contagious.
We have already done this, none of the other dogs is sick, but they are in quarantine. Everyone is acting responsibly. :)

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
That's good to hear. After your pup recovers fully they shouldn't be contagious anymore but your home will be contaminated, you will need to clean it thoroughly with bleach or another strong disinfectant.

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
I have no answers ... but am pulling for the pup to pull through ... sending good thoughts and prayers your way.

·
Registered
11,444 Posts
Everything is being paid for, that is not the issue. It's weather or not the dog will be healthy if it survives, and is it contagious since a virus does not leave the system, can it never be around other dogs, especially pups. Make sense?! thanks :)

We have already done this, none of the other dogs is sick, but they are in quarantine. Everyone is acting responsibly. :)
When my friends adopted a shelter puppy who came down with parvo immediately, they were told to have at least a 6 weeks post-recovery quarantine period, even around vaccinated adult dogs. Their dog has been healthy since recovery and there are a number of other parvo puppies that are healthy after recovery but there isn't a guarantee on that or anything; my understanding is that with very young puppies (as in, infected in utero or as neonates) there can be a risk of heart damage

1 - 8 of 8 Posts