Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if it's dominating exactly, but we recently got a new puppy about a week or two ago. My other dog, Pocky, had no troubles with him but lately it seems the new puppy (Louie) won't leave her alone.

Whenever I'm trying to pet Pocky, he chases her off and bites her. Then he returns and lays at my feet or in front of me. If she tries to come up to me, he'll chase her off again. Pocky seems to just let him get what he wants. Louie has taken all her toys and her dog bed. Even when they play, she doesn't bite him. The only time she bit him was when I was trying to give her a treat and he kept jumping in front of her trying to eat it too.

Should I just leave them alone or should I stop him? And if so, how would I go about showing him that he shouldn't do this? I feel bad for Pocky, because she deserves attention too.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
How old is the puppy? Dogs give puppies under 5 or 6 months a total pass on behavior. It's called the "puppy pass". They'll accept virtually any behavior, no matter how irritating or even painful. If your puppy is under that age, time will sort this out, but you can redirect your puppy away from the dog and encourage behaviors you want.

If the puppy is irritating the dog, get a treat and work on sit and stay. Teach a "go to mat" command. (You teach the puppy to lay in a particular spot when given this command.) If the puppy solicits attention rudely while you pay attention to the dog, DO NOT reward the puppy. Ignore the puppy. If you must, keep a leash on the puppy (only when you can supervise, it could get caught on something and choke the puppy to death) and use the leash to put him in a different room behind a baby gate until you are done with the dog. Pay attention to the puppy only when he's being polite. Ignoring or redirecting bad behavior and rewarding good behavior is the best way to handle rudeness in dogs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts