Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I got a english bulldog puppy last week. He was on Pro plan puppy, which he seemed to like, but I bought him a healthier better brand, Wellness. Well the first day or two he ate it a little bit mixed with his old food. Now, he wont eat it. Unless it sits there all day and he has to. He has had BAD gas and his stools have turns soft. I had samples around the house from other brands. I put all of them in bowls to see where he would go to eat. First, Canidae, he ate that up for a day and was over that, so i put some more samples. Out of Wellness, Canidae, Eagle Pack and Premium Edge, he liked the Small and Medium breed Eagle Pack puppy food. He ate some of the Premium Edge as well, but didnt look twice at the Wellness or Canidae!!! Which I thought Wellness was suppose to be this food dogs like and taste good. Guess not. He does like the treats and canned food of theres though. So im going to switch to Eagle Pack tomorrow. I dont have any of his previous food though left. So, if i just switch him without it, should he be ok? Anyone else on Eagle Pack? I let him try both the Holistic and Regular, he liked the regular a bit better. I would like to try Solid Gold also, not sure if thats any better. Also, he would be fine on the medium breed formula and not the large, right? Cause i think hes a medium breed.thanks

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Any dog I have eats what I give him, or not at all. I put the bowl down for 20 minutes per meal, and then take it up until the next meal, regardless of if it's still got food it in or not. Shippo tried to be picky with me the first week I had him, and he didn't eat for like a day and a half because he tried to snub his food the first 3-4 times I offered it. After that, he ate it with gusto!

My only exception to this rule is if there is something wrong with the dog healthwise. Then of course I will try what I can to get the dog to eat.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Eagle Pack foods are good - only use the HOLISTIC SELECT formulas, tho'.
When you switch your puppy's food, do so slowly by mixing it into his old food a little at a time until you have totally new food. This may take anywhere from 5 days to 2 weeks or more. Eagle Pack also makes a supplement that might help with the transition called "Transition" LOL. It is a powder, tho', so it actually works best with a wet/dry feeding regimen. If there are soft stools with transitioning give a little plain (not pie filling) pumpkin in his food. Probiotics might help, too. Good Luck, Eagle Pack Holistic Select foods are great IMHO. I've used them with great success!

·
Registered
500 Posts
Probiotics and enzymes do wonders. I never transition foods, and her stomach is hardy as anything. No soft stools, I recommend Solid Gold Seameal and/or Prozyme or Great Life Enzymes Pro+. Seameal over all of them though.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any dog I have eats what I give him, or not at all. I put the bowl down for 20 minutes per meal, and then take it up until the next meal, regardless of if it's still got food it in or not. Shippo tried to be picky with me the first week I had him, and he didn't eat for like a day and a half because he tried to snub his food the first 3-4 times I offered it. After that, he ate it with gusto!

My only exception to this rule is if there is something wrong with the dog healthwise. Then of course I will try what I can to get the dog to eat.
Well its been almost a week and he doesnt like it. Im not going to make him, cause i had a Husky and she barley ate her food and had a horrible coat and was skinny cause of it. And to another response, he likes the Eagle Pack regular kind more than the holistic. Im thinking he doesnt like alot of the natural holistic stuff. And yes, im getting him some tomorrow and asking for a Solid Gold sample as well. I just want him to eat his food and not have to deal with him being skinny and him whining. I just leave food in his bowl to eat all day. But I only fill it up 3 times a day with a cup. If he doesnt eat it all, it just sits there till he does. And I dont have any of his breeders food left to tansitition him with. I have some wellness, but im not going to mix it, im just going to give him straight eagle pack, im sure he will be fine

·
Registered
818 Posts
I agree with the above poster that Seameal is a great supplement to use...

As for your new puppy, the bottom line is you have to feed what works for him and you. If you are feeding the best quality food you can afford and your dog likes it and it's working the best for their health, then you have found the right food for you and your dog! So go for it! Good luck to you!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts