Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does depression exist in dogs? Ever since we've brought our puppy home she hasn't wanted to play, and when we take her outside she just sits down. She eats, but when I try to pet her she shys away from contact. The only time she plays is when our other dogs starts playing with her. I don't know what to do. Any ideas?

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
It sounds like she has not been well socialized with people. I believe she is scared. She may just be so new to everything she is scared too.

I would start by being quiet around her and don't feed her in a bowl. Hand feed her all her food. Pet her as she eats out of your hand.

I would also get a toy and tie it to a piece of rope about 6 feet long and try to get her to engage the toy on the end of the rope (most pups will chase the toy when you drag it arond on the end of the rope). Gradually decrease the distance until she will play with the toy directly with you.

What kind of dog is she? How old is she? When did you bring her home? Pictures?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It sounds like she has not been well socialized with people. I believe she is scared. She may just be so new to everything she is scared too.

I would start by being quiet around her and don't feed her in a bowl. Hand feed her all her food. Pet her as she eats out of your hand.

I would also get a toy and tie it to a piece of rope about 6 feet long and try to get her to engage the toy on the end of the rope (most pups will chase the toy when you drag it arond on the end of the rope). Gradually decrease the distance until she will play with the toy directly with you.

What kind of dog is she? How old is she? When did you bring her home? Pictures?
I will try that. Thanks for the advice. She is 13 weeks old. We brought her home this weekend, Saturday. She is an Australian/German Shepherd Mix. She's the prettiest thing you've ever seen. I wish she was more playful. :( I don't have any pictures currently. I will try to get some up soon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So, all I can do is wait? I mean, since we've brought her home, I see absolutely no progress. I see her playing with our other dog more aggressively. But that's it.

·
Registered
482 Posts
So, all I can do is wait? I mean, since we've brought her home, I see absolutely no progress. I see her playing with our other dog more aggressively. But that's it.
A few days is nowhere near enough time for a puppy to get used to his or her new surroundings. ;)

I second the recommendation of a vet exam. I'd recommend a vet exam on a new pup, anyway!

After the vet exam, get enrolled in a puppy class! I just started a new class and the primary goal is socialization: both with humans and other dogs! I'd venture to say a puppy class is a MUST for all pups and dog owners!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We took her in for a check-up already. They said absolutely nothing is wrong with her physically. She is still shying away from human contact. We cannot afford puppy classes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts