Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks for all the great help I've gotten thus far on threads with my questions - it's great having such an informed community.

I just got a puppy (mixed breed: Aussie, Border C., Kelpie, Pit) that is 7 weeks old. She is comfortable in the crate, but HATES it when I close the door. She starts spinning around looking for a way out and crying. I left her in there for 30 minutes and she was freaking out until the end. She's not afraid of the crate - after that incident she went back in for her food and water.

Where she loves to be is in the bathroom so she can sleep in the shower (I live in HI so it's hot here). The moment she gets tired she goes and gets in the shower on her own.

My question is: are there any downsides to this that I should be on the look out for and is there a recommendation for her puppy panic mode for the crate? Mainly, if she stays in the bathroom for long hours (I let her out every 2 to go to the bathroom) are there any issues with personality that can develop (I remember a friend's rescue that had been left in a crate for far too long and was super anti-social - would actually walk to the corner of the room and stare at it). Similarly, I'd prefer she be in the crate so I can watch her but she panics. Have I screwed up and her 'den' is the shower and she won't accept the crate? Do I just need to be more patient with the crate?

Mahalo and thank you everyone!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Does she panic as soon as the door is closed? If not, you could continue working with the crate, playing crate games and having the door closed for only 30 seconds at first then release the puppy, increase to a minute the next day, then two...and so on. If she isn't afraid of the crate she might just need a little practice being still and settling.

In the meantime, the bathroom could be a safe, cleanable area where she can be contained. As long as there's nothing she can get into/ingest around the bathroom floor, let her nap in there where she's comfortable. When she's awake you can tether her to you with a leash ("umbilical cording"). She's only 7 weeks old, so don't feel like you've screwed anything up. She's just learning!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.