Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbor just got a new puppy (terrier) and as we share a yard the puppy needs to be introduced to my two older dogs (both med-large cross breeds). The one older dog met the puppy and it went well; no issues. The second one though is extremely boisterous and rough with the puppy. They have met twice now in a controlled setting and both times puppy was pinned down roughly and examined - no issues here and puppy behaved submissivly; even rolling on her back and baring her underbelly. Both times though this was follower by the older dog proceeding to grab her by the throat (while puppy was on her back) - she was not exactly agressive about it and she did not break skin but it was rough and puppy was yelping. The older dog did not release her until I physically separated them. Now the puppy, who is generally confident and friendly is understandably skittish. The older dog is still very interested in puppy when they hear /see her by my neighbors door and does not appear agressive as much as excited but I'm now not sure how to have them get used to each other without a repeated situation - I don't want to risk traumatizing the puppy any further. Any advice?

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
IMHO ~ This sounds like a tragedy waiting to happen. Personally if I had a dog who grabbed a puppy by it's throat and would not let go until I physically had to separate them ... my dog would no longer be allowed near the puppy at all. It only takes a split second for a grown dog to grab a puppy and use it like a rag doll if it has any tendencies to be dog aggressive. In the meantime I would not allow my older aggressive dog outside at the same time. Just some food for thought.

·
Super Moderator
3,327 Posts
I would keep that older dog away from puppy. It is clearly inappropriate with the puppy and does not respond to the puppy's signals that it wants no trouble, and that it doesn't appreciate having its throat grabbed.

Pinning is a natural dog play behavior, but generally the pinner lets the pinned dog up relatively quickly and will allow itself to become the pinned dog in turn, even if there is a considerable size difference. That's why I don't think this is all play for your dog. It's possible because the terrier puppy is small, your dog thinks it's prey. Or, it just has really terrible social skills or doesn't like puppies.

Personally, I would wait until the puppy is bigger to let them try to physically interact again, and be prepared to never let your dog near the puppy again if it's behavior doesn't improve. In the meantime, your dog may see the puppy, perhaps through a barrier or on leash, but don't let them interact. I would be working on teaching your dog to ignore the puppy.

·
Registered
837 Posts
I agree the situation sounds dangerous. There's a lot more at risk than the puppy's confidence, and that's bad enough. So even though you share a yard, surely you can switch off on when each of you uses it. Set up a schedule, or if everyone is always available, check with each other - best of course would be to divide the yard or set up an interior pen for the puppy where she will be safe no matter what.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts