Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello! So i'm a first time dog owner, though i do have experience with other dogs i've been/am close with, this is the first time i've had a dog in the home.

I have a JRT X lakeland terrier, he's 12 weeks old, i got him from a friend who took one two puppies and realized she couldn't handle them both.

So far he's brilliant, he already knows sit, he's good on his lead, he's weeing outside (just working on the pooping!) he sleeps in his bed at night and stuff.

In the evening he goes mad, running around, growling, biting and jumping on furniture. I looked this up and found it's just how puppies burn off excess energy, and seeing as he's just finished his vaccinations i will be sorting that out soon with long walks. But now when he tries to get up on the sofa and i tell him down, he lunges for my hand and goes mad, biting me (not breaking skin) whining, barking and running around. But this dosent seem like the puppy craziness, this seems to be set off when i tell him he cant get on the sofa. any other time i tell him no or to get down he's fine, it's only when its to do with the sofa he goes mad. If i saw ow when he bites to hard, he starts biting more too.

He's stuck to me like glue so doesn't like being away from me, even if i am in the shower he will cry. I dont want to give in and let him on the sofa as a puppy and confuse him when i wont let him up when he's older, so i was wondering if anyone could tell me why he gets into a sort of puppy tantrum when i tell him down, and whether the fact he's obsessed with me or just normal puppy behavior where he's in a new place?

sorry this post is so long, but any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

·
Registered
514 Posts
You can do walks before the final vaccinations -- in fact, the majority of vets now recommend that you start socializing at 8 weeks, because of the risks of missing a critical window the puppy's development -- just avoid high-risk areas like pet stores, dog parks (which you shouldn't go to anyway with a young puppy), and other places that lots of dogs pass through.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
The attitude is typical for JRT's. I have a JRT x and I remember the attitude from when he was a puppy.

They are very smart, so teach him what you want him to do instead, like go lie on his bed. Then instead of telling him to get off, you tell him to go to his bed, or go get a toy, and the dog will happily do it because it's a fun, highly rewarded behaviour.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies, i took him on a little walk this morning to see how he was, and now he knackered lol We're trying to teach him his bed is a awesome fun place to go and i think he's slowly getting there. He just becomes fixated on wanting to get on furniture. Last night he was like it for a hour when i wouldn't let him on my bed and asked him to get into his, he just started chewing everything in sight, apart from his toys. Is there any way to stop him being so fixated on sitting or laying with me?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Just to add on to what I said before, if you are walking through an area that more dogs go through, pick him up and carry him. And you should call your vet and ask how high the incidence of parvo is in the area (someone brought this up in a different thread) because sometimes there are outbreaks in an area, in which case you would want to be more careful.

Wait, I just reread your first post and it says he just finished his vaccinations? That can't be right. They can't get the last set of core vaccinations until 16 weeks. How many sets of core vaccinations has he had at this point?

Everything else I wrote was based on the assumption that he hasn't finished his shots, just to clarify.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
apparently he has, i took him to the vet this morning and they told me he's all done until next year. so hopefully longish walks should tire him out? thanks for the advice :)

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Also, if you don't want him on the couch, you should teach him the "off" command, instead of just saying no. When he tries to get on the couch say "off" and look at the floor, point to the floor, you can even use a treat to lure him to put all four feet on the floor. When he is off the couch, say "good off!" and give him a treat. You will need to teach it just as if you are teaching any other command, like "sit" or what have you. And any time he tries to get on the couch is a good time to practice the "off" command. :)

I really think he just has the nighttime "zoomies". Any response they have will be even crazier if they have the zoomies. I don't think, at 12 weeks old, he's rebelling or anything like that. He's just overly tired. It's similar to a human toddler who is super tired and needs to go to bed, but doesn't want to, so they run around like crazy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im trying the down technique, giving him a treat, but he's started getting aggressive and wont stop biting me, and now he's doing it when i ask him to go in his bed, and if i make a loud yelping noise, he starts biting harder and growling to the point i had to shut him in the hall. I dont think that was the right thing to do, but even when i stood up, turned around and ignored him he wouldnt stop biting at my legs. Should i carry on trying for a bit or should i start looking for a professional trainer. I had a 7 year old neice, so i dont want him getting like that when she comes around. This still only seems to be in the evening, in the daytime he is the sweetest thing.

·
Registered
514 Posts
You should sign up for a puppy K if you haven't already. They are great. You learn stuff and your dog gets crucial socialization. They can teach you how to deal with mouthiness, which is a normal part of puppyhood. But try to find one with an experienced trainer that uses positive methods. Some "trainers" are worse than useless.

About the shots, it's my understanding that they must get the last set of core vaccinations (parvo/distemper/hepatitis/sometimes others) at 16 weeks, or they may have inadequate coverage. I've always heard this. Maybe someone else will chime in with more information.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
About the shots, it's my understanding that they must get the last set of core vaccinations (parvo/distemper/hepatitis/sometimes others) at 16 weeks, or they may have inadequate coverage. I've always heard this. Maybe someone else will chime in with more information.
Old school was 12 weeks and they decided that in some cases mother's antibodies interfered with last shot and moved final pup shot to 16 weeks. This is pretty much the normal program nowadays.

Not sure but I think in some states they have even stretched that out to 18 weeks.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Try walking him for 30 min. a day, morning and after work, if possible. Then, walk for 15 min. just before bedtime and before the zoomies kick in.

This may help with nipping. Use Ouch or Oops rather than Yelp to mark the nipping for a JRT:
Some Tweaks to Bite Inhibition (to get him to stop biting when he wants to play):
1. When the pup bites, then yelp. It should sound about like what the pup does when you step on its paw... don't step on his paw for a sample :). When you yelp, the pup should startle briefly and stop nipping. Praise and pet. He'll bite.
2. When he bites the second time, Yelp. When he stops, praise and pet. He'll nip again, although it may be a little gentler. ...
3. When he bites a third time, Yelp (see a pattern?). But this time, turn your back for 15 - 30 secs. If he comes around and play bows or barks, then that is an apology. This is important. Accept it, praise and pet... and cringe in expectation of the next nip...
4. When he bites the 4th time, Yelp, then leave the area, placing him in a 2 min. time-out. It is better if you can leave, rather than moving him. Then, return and interact. (He's still hungry...)
5. When he nips the fifth time, yelp, and leave the area, stopping interaction for now.

Pups need to sleep over night in order to learn their lessons. So, keep doing this for 3 days. By the third day, you should notice signficant Bite Inhibition. He may still nip, but it will be softer and he won't draw blood. Keep up the training and make sure that everyone yelps.... Very powerful method.

If you learn the technique, then you can apply the "yelp" to other circumstances, also. I believe that "yelp" is "Please don't do that, I don't like it." in dog communication. I currently use the yelp when my dog plays tug, then runs with the toy, when he fetches and keeps it out of reach or when he takes a treat too quickly....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm in the UK, so maybe its different here? but im pretty positive he's had all his vaccinations.

I'll defiantly try the 5 step thing, cause his biting is getting terrible. He just goes on a mad one and starts snarling and snapping at me, so i think i will have to look into training classes. Thankyou so much for all of the advice, it's greatly appreciated!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts