Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I bought a puppy from a very known reputable seller. She was a 3 month old shihtzu. When we took her home we noticed she sneezed a little. We didn't think any of it until a few days later she was sneezing and coughing a lot. We took her back to the seller and he said its very common for puppies to be stressed out. They said they would take care care of her. They took her to the vet and prescribed medications to her. We go visit her every few days. And its been about 2 weeks now. We saw her today and she looked happy energetic fat but still coughed once in a while. They said it will be a while longer til we can take her back home. My question is, is it common for puppies to be sick and also to have it this long? Should I be worried about her health in the future? Will this effect her immune system? I live in nyc so its been cold still.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks so much!

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Kennel cough can take a while to resolve. I'm not sure how likely a reputable breeder would have kennel cough within their facility.

While you are waiting for some other responses you could check your purchase contract for the health clause (any respectable breeder will have that in the contract) to see what your options are. Some will offer another pup, some will refund money.

And if you do take the dog ultimately, I would definitely get the dog to your own vet within 48 hours (or the time stated in the contract) to be sure that everything looks good. And given the circumstances I might also request the records from the breeder's vet so that your vet has all the previous info.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
initially i dont believe it was kennel cough since she had a running nose (green bugers) now it possibly could be.

they said after she checks out ok and we can take her home, under contract we can take the puppy to any vet to see if she has any illnesses. if she does, we get a full refund.

i will request records, thanks for that

ive grown really attached to her, so i dont really want to give her up :(

heres some pictures of her (her name is brownie):

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
we called the seller the day we noticed she was sick. its been with them for 2 weeks now, they have a oncall vet that comes and prescribes her medications.

·
Banned
572 Posts
^^^^^ Obviously not if they KNEW it was sick. But viruses and bugs can lie dormant and come out during stressful times - i.e. going to a new home. Yes, it's common even for pups given preventative meds to sometimes come down with kennel cough or another bug. I've had a few who were healthy as horses that, within 24 hrs after being sold, came down with an intestinal bug, probably corona. We have had corona in the environment, even with vaccinating, that does not 100% guarantee the pup is completely immune to it. I will not sell the pup if I see it's sick and have kept pups on longer and/or refused puppy visits to let them rest up and get their meds.

Sounds liek the breeder has offered a fair health guarantee, and that is a pretty little pup! Unfortunately, problems like this can sometimes be unavoidable but sounds for now like the breeder is doing the right thing to rectify the problem.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Just out of curiosity, You keep calling this person a "reputable seller", but have yet to call them a breeder. So is this person the breeder of the dog in question or do they just sell puppies?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts