Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For 2 years now I have had the joy of sharing my home with English Bulldog and a Pekingese. I have raised both of them since 7-weeks-old and got them a month apart from one another. They grew up together in my house with my fiance and I. They both just turned 2 (EB in Jan and Peke in March). I thought I socialzied them well when they were puppies, and my bulldog is just GREAT with EVERYONE and EVERYTHING. I have never had a problem out of him. My Peke on the other hand is a little different. She doesnt like strangers and doesnt mind other dogs most of the time. Saturday we decided to buy another dog, a Great Dane puppy. She is 9 weeks old and has been in the house since late Saturday night. I introduced the 3 of them and it seemed okay to begin with. I didnt worry about my bulldog and the new puppy, but I knew my peke wasnt going to like the idea very much. She literally is my life. We do EVERYTHING together and I couldnt live without her. She is the most loving dog and never leaves my side. So I guess you can see where Im going with this one. She HATES the new puppy. Everyone knows how puppies are.. they bite, scratch, bark and tackle. Not to mention her feet are about as big as Vegas' head. She will grow at her when she tried to get on the couch, eat out of the food bowl, steal her toys, the normal things. I figured this would happen so it's no shock, but I just want to know what are some things I could do to make this process a little easier on the 3 of us. She WILL fight with her if I let her. I try to sternly correct Vegas and puppy if she gets out of hand. I dont want Vegas thinking Im replacing her because I am not in any way. We just wanted other dogs in her lifetime and didnt want to wait until she was WAY older. I figured that would make it worse. Please, please, PLEASE give me some advice. Other information you might find helpful: I do feed Vegas away from the puppy. She isnt food aggressive at all. But she always growls anyways because she usually does it to my bulldog (hes a hog) the 3 of us go to my Mamaws during the day so they can play outside (i dont live anywhere with a yard they can roam) Vegas does sleep with us at night while the puppy sleeps in her crate. I dont really know what I could mention, but if you have any questions I will be happy to answer them. Any help is welcome.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I think the most important thing, at this point, is to always, always always supervise when they are together, to keep them all safe.
Another thing you can do is to closely observe all their body language, so that you get to know even the most subtle signals that they are getting out of hand. Each dog may have their own signals, too. If you watch closely, you may find that one dog will lower their ears a tiny bit when they have had enough and are getting too upset. Then, when you see the ears lower, you can separate the dogs BEFORE anything even happens, because you know the warning signs. There are lots of signs, that's just an example, but things like tails lowering (tips or base, either could mean something), or the eyes can get a "flat" look to them, etc.

Make sure that you give each dog "alone" time with you. Train them separately, and make sure that each dog has a crate that they can "escape" to if they need a break from the other dogs. One thing you could try is giving the older dogs frozen, stuffed kongs to work on while you train the puppy. That way, the older dogs feel like they're getting a treat, not being ignored.

Sometimes, walking them TOGETHER can help them form a bond, but that would mean you walking one (or the older two) and someone else walking the puppy, not you walking all three. If they are walking parallel to each other, but a few feet away, peke might not feel threatened, and it might help create a bond.

Maybe someone else will come by with more advice.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts