Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I've been reading the other posts and so on about phantom pregnancy in dogs.

My first baby is a 10 month old jack Russell bitch named Miley. She is our baby.. we have tried keeping her a puppy as long as possible.

She went into heat about 5 weeks ago, and we kept her in very secure areas and double-fenced alot of the yard, and didn't walk her as much either. There was 1 situation 3 weeks ago where the neighbours intact male somehow got into our yard, but from what we could see, Miley had him hiding in a corner.. but we don't know if he had managed to get in before while we were at work and varsity. Since that day he hasn't been in again.

8 days ago we adopted a 7 week old white/yellow lab named Khionee (snow nymph/goddess in Greek). During this past week I noticed some drastic changes in Miley though...

Usually she is know by everyone as nsane, ADHD, Marley type of dog.. but all she's been doing is sleeping, playing wth the puppy, very fussy eating, swollen breasts, she also sits on my lap constantly and follows me everywhere and sleeps where ever I am?

Now I am VERY confused..

She's either pegnant or she is having a phantom pregnancy.

We are going to get her spayed, but we were waiting for her obedience school course to end before we spayed her. It only finishes in December.

Now, if it is a phantom pregnancy, could it have been caused by the puppy coming home? Can something like that really have such a big impact on her hormones?

Or, could she have got pregnant from mating just once?

I have had dogs all my life, and many, as we would adopt anyone's dog if the owner was immigrating or couldn't look after them anymore, but with intact and spayed/neutered dogs, I have never had one have a phantom pregnancy.

I really need to know how I can make Miley feel better and what food is preferred because I'm struggling to get her to eat her normal food. This morning I am giving her her normal pellets with fresh farm milk and some chicken meat, and an egg mixed together to give her some extra protein in case she is pregnant.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated! :)

Tx

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
havent had any replies, but an update is that I've noticed her vagina is very swollen, and she has become incredibly protective over me. for example, if someone walks past in the street (20 meters from the front door) she will stand in front of me and bark in a very protective manner?

·
Registered
7,429 Posts
A dog can get pregnant after one mating, yes. It's usually about 63 days (nine weeks) between mating and giving birth. Do you have a vet that you could go and see? At five weeks into this, it's too late for an emergency spay if she's pregnant, but the vet can let you know if she is actually pregnant and what to expect.

Is the male a small dog, too? It would be dangerous for your small, young dog to give birth to large puppies. She may need a cesarean section anyway, so definitely see a vet and find out what you're dealing with!

Here is a link to a site about whelping, just in case. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
She can be pregnant from one mating. What concerns me is 5 weeks later her vulva should not be swollen. If her heat was miscalculated, it could be. Take her in to check if she is pregnant, they may be able to palpate three weeks later, but you may need to wait a couple weeks for an x ray.

I wouldn't be concerned about her eating, she will eat. Unless she is very thin, just don't worry much with it. If she is pregnant, she will need smaller amounts more frequently. Switch to puppy food slowly, or higher calcium, but not too soon. She doesn't need to gain too much, or develop too much milk when she gets ready to deliver.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank u for the reply :)

Yes I have a vet I can see tomorrow as its a public holiday in south africa today. Luckily Miley is quit a big jack Russell. I think she might have beagle in her or some kind of bigger dog as she's twice the size of my sisters pure bred jack Russell andtheybare 3 days apart in age. The 'father' would be the neighbours weird dog. He looks like a yorkie but he's a bit bigger than Miley. So i don't know if he's a jack Russell cross yorkie or something along those lines. I'm a little ticked to be honest and I'm thinking of going over there and giving the owner a piece of my mind and reporting him to the spca... but I could go over and simply ask what breed their dog is in case Miley is expecting.

Her tummy looks a little bigger than usual too. I think I must just go to the vet tomorrow and do an ultrasound perhaps? What would u do? Lol

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Still a little early for the ultrasound as well, usually around 30 days. Some are accurately done at day 22, depending on how skilled you vet is with it.
If she is bred, I would talk with the males owner. However, I would keep it peaceful, since ultimately its your responsibility to keep the female safe. ( not fair, and frustrating for intact bitch owners, I know!)

So just check your fence well, and next heat only take her out unless you are with her. I have had to completely electrify my fence when the girls come into heat, due to wandering lustful males. I would spay if not using to breed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sho.. the law here also doesn't help because I can't find any sort of reference. But if the pups r born and she needs ac section, il have a paternity test done make make the guy pay and neuter his dog. As soon as I know what is going on Miley is getting spayed. I generally don't believe in breeding dogs, and ivenever bought one. I've gotten them all as adoptions from friends or from the spca. I don't mind breeders though that are keeping a certain breed and so on. That's the only time I would breed. I never intended on breeding Miley ever.. she's my baby and wanted to keep her that way. :( even if its a phantom pregnancy it breaks my heart because she's so confused and so young. I feel like I've failed her and could have done better.

·
Registered
7,429 Posts
Try not to feel too bad. You didn't do this on purpose, and you're doing the right thing now! It's good that the male is around her size -- if she is actually pregnant, she will hopefully be just fine and not need a c-section. She is younger than is ideal for having a first litter, but that doesn't mean she will definitely have problems. Keep us updated, okay?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I mostdefinatly will do!! Thanks guys. I'm feeling alot calmer and I think its calmed Miley down too. Her energy is better. :) will let u know what happens! xoxo

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
Well, wait, the boy got in 3 weeks ago? It's not too late for a spay/abort. Getting close, though. Definitely get her in tto see the vet ASAP and talk about your options.

·
Registered
7,429 Posts
Yeah, I misread and thought the boy got in there five weeks ago, when she first went into heat... but he actually got to her two weeks later. Definitely ask your vet about an emergency spay.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
cool lol

I'm going to take her in today still, but I'm starting to think it is a phantom pregnancy because today she's starting to act like he old self and her symptoms are much less prominent than before..but I definatly want to get it checked out. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts