Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

New Puppy and Jealous Dog

722 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  InkedMarie 
#1 ·
Well.... we got a new puppy. I'll be starting a photo thread for her and everything, but first I have one issue.

The other 3 dogs all are pretty chilled out about it and basically just ignore her. They aren't interested in playing but are going about their day like the puppy doesn't exist. That's fine with me, but I know from past experience that Grace gets very jealous if I spend time with a new puppy. We rescued one about two years ago and I made the mistake of fawning over the new puppy - Grace didn't eat for days and sulked for weeks; went from my shadow to giving me sad/angry looks and sleeping down stairs.

I know the addition of a puppy to the house is a big change for the other dogs that are all adults. Our youngest is 6 so it's been 6 years since we had a puppy. What would you guys advise I do to try and prevent the other dogs from getting jealous? They'd be happiest if I just camped out with them in my room and ignored the puppy as well...but I of course want to interact with the pup and help with her training.

Should I try to make the puppy fun for the other dogs, like going out in the yard together and getting treats, walks, etc? Or just let them handle it how they want?

I just don't want Grace to hate me! lol

See less See more
#2 ·
Essentially you want to make sure having the new puppy means good things for your other dogs and especially Gracie. So make sure Gracie gets extra attention, if you are giving a treat to the puppy give treats to Gracie and the others first.

#3 ·
Okay, thanks. That's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure if I should involve the dogs or let them decide on their own

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.