Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6 month old Staffordshire Bull Terrier (male) who is house trained, normally a really well behaved dog and a pleasure for people to be around.
A few days ago we got another Staffordshire Bull Terrier (bitch) and my house has quickly turned into a mad house, the new puppy is always antagonising my dog and they end up fighting. He is quite good and not that aggressive with her but I'm very worried of him snapping maybe? I think i would if i was minding my own business then smeome with sharp teeth started biting me! It's impossible to split them up once they have started!
Other then that my older dog has never jumped on the bed before, never begs for food and very rarely soils/ wee's indoors but these are now all becoming regular now!!

Help what do I do??

·
Registered
160 Posts
It's not at all unusual for an older dog to get annoyed with the antics of a younger dog, but with your older dog at only 6 months, it shouldn't be very pronounced. At least you have a male/female combo, which helps eliminate some issues. Personally, I would monitor their play time closely until comfortable with their interaction. When I bring a new puppy home, there are a few 'nevers' I adhere to. Some of those are...

1. Never allow the new puppy to freely roam about. This makes potty training and damage control a nightmare.
2. Never leave anything within the puppy's reach that I care about or that may cause harm if ingested or gnawed on.
3. Never allow the new puppy and existing dogs to play unsupervised. You just never know...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The female pup is 8 weeks old. I'm not sure whether it is playing or fighting, one minute they are lying snuggled up on the couch, the next they are pinning eachother down by the throat! I'm scared of one getting hurt. When we brought the new pup home and introduced them we put them both on the ground together and gave the older one a few treats, I read that this makes them see the other pup as a good thing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And also paid lots of attention to older dog so he didn't feel left out. They do seem to get along it just really worries me when they start to fight

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Best way to introduce a dog is on neutral ground. But thats a lost cause now.

Is there any way to video tape it? Has your other dog been socialized? are you sure its not just rough play? The older one pushing the new one around?

My beagle will "act" agressive to any dog under 5 months. He will pin them , stand over them and growl. Only thing I have got from trainers, is he does it cause he can. They let him do it. And then its over.5 mins later they are his new BFF and playing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do hope that it Is just rough playing. They seem to be a lot better now after a few days. They will fight with each other then ten minutes later they will be cuddled up in their bed

1 - 7 of 7 Posts