Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, I have a few questions out there for those who've raise a new puppy while having another dog. Since we're getting a new puppy (10 weeks old) and he's going to need to go out to potty a lot, and his schedule will overlap with my current dog's potty schedule. My current dog is 1 year old. Is it okay to bring them both out at the same time to potty or should I make two separate potty trips? Would it be good for the new puppy to watch my current dog go potty outside and would he learn faster from a role model? Right now I'm watching a pretty senior dog who I take out every 3-4 hours, and so Wicket (my current dog) has been learning to potty the same time with the other dog when their schedules overlap. Also this helps me practice with 2 dogs before the new puppy arrives, and so far with potty alone, I think I can manage.

For training sessions, would it be good to retrain my current dog while training the new puppy? She's been getting sloppy with her current commands so I've been starting to retrain her, and was wondering will the new puppy learn faster this way too? I do plan to train her to wait and leave me and the new puppy alone when it's not her turn to learn.

I plan to crate train the new puppy, and I know there will be a few bumps along the way. What I was wondering if the cries of the new puppy will cause my current dog to cry as well? And vice versa, will he learn to cry when she cries when I leave. She usually quiets down after a little bit, but I'm afraid that both will set off each other and it'll turn into a chain storm of crying and anxiety.

So please do tell me of your experiences with raising a new puppy with a current dog. Thank you for any advice and suggestions :D

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
In my experience, my older dogs have always tagged along on most potty trips. Even now, when one goes out, both usually go.

·
Registered
596 Posts
we have a 5 year old(Soon to be 6)-Lady & a puppy-Buddy.

With are potty training it's been GREAT, When Lady goes potty, Buddy copys & goes potty, & it's good because Lady goes potty EVERY time we take her out.

We train them seperate, because buddy thinks training is play time.

& I don't know about the crate question, as I don't crate.

~Erica~

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
IME, older dogs are great role models for puppies. I've had puppies learn commands not even given to them, just by watching my dogs do stuff. They are very good for potty training, as the puppy is able to get the idea really quickly.

Maybe you could do the crate training where you walk out, then walk back in and treat for being quiet. I'm not really sure of any ways to keep them quiet, especially if they feed off each other.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks guys! Crating training will be interesting lol. Wicket has been getting better with being crated now. She goes in voluntarily and settles down. She was well crate trained before she got spayed, but she didn't fit with her cone so we used the ex-pen while she healed. For the longest time she was trust worthy roaming free and didn't cry when we left opposed to in the ex-pen or crate, but she's been such a brat lately (tearing into things she shouldn't, chewing up baseboards) that we just had to re-crate her. Maybe having company crated next to each other will help soothe each other. Since Smokey (the elderly dog I've been watching over) has been here, Wicket's crying has almost stopped. So maybe the new little boy pup will keep her calm too if he isn't too devastated being crated, lol.

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
I always crated the two boy's side by side as pups. It kept them from crying all night. Though every pup is different. The only time I have an issue now with the youngest Eddee is when I go to let him out of his crate ... not the other way around. Blu Boy will "Scream" at me when I walk towards the crate! Lol! Blu Boy wants me to let Eddee out of jail! Abbylynn could care less about either one of them!

I also will take my current pup Eddee and the others out at the same time. The only time I will not do so is if they want to play instead of doing their business. :) That occasionally happens. It just depends on the dogs.

I train them separate and together. I work on the things that a pup gets distracted easily from separately. I add the distractions as the pup gets the training a bit accomplished.

But I also find that sometimes the pup learns from watching the older dog. I just judge by what is taking place at the moment as to separate them or not. Like everything ... there are good days and bad. Pups can be so fickle! Lol! :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts