Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am by no stretch of the imagination new to dogs, but it's been fourteen years since I've had a puppy -not counting my two dogs now-, and fourteen years ago I was only five years old at the time. :-S

Two days ago I welcomed a new puppy into our household: a three month old Pomeranian male named Kodakenai (Koda for short). He's an extremely docile boy, but somewhat clingy... leading to difficulty during the nighttime hours. I keep him in a small cat carrier with a pee pad (no food/water) right beside my bed, and he does pretty good until about 4-4:30 AM. He begins to whine and cry, but he's still not crate-trained so he pees in his carrier at night and he won't eliminate when I take him outside because it's too cold for him (until the weather warms up, he has to use a pee pad laid down on the floor). Well, I took him out to go, but all he wanted to do was play and when I put him in his carrier again he started to cry. And cry. And cry. I gave him a quick, gruff "Quiet", but it didn't do any good. So finally... and I know this isn't the right thing to do... I put him in bed with me.

-sigh- Sleepiness clouds my judgement, and I couldn't lay in bed listening to constant whining. Plus, I have another family member in the house who has to work several hours a day and night and can't be woken up.

So to continue, after about a half hour I put him back and he quieted up and slept. Until 7:00. Then he started crying and I had to clean him up and put him back in bed with me. Again, I know it's not the right thing to do, but I was just so tired.

With all that in mind, what can I do to stop him from crying at night if he doesn't have to eliminate and only wants attention? I know I'll have to be more stern about the whole bringing him in bed with me, but what else is there to do to qualm him during the night?

·
Registered
640 Posts
Congrats on your new "baby"! :D

I'm a little confused - is he starting the crying at 4am because he needs to go to the bathroom, and it's a matter of your not getting to him on time? I wouldn't keep a pee pad in the crate, because you want him to think of his crate as his den (a pee-free place)... it sounds like if he's peeing at 4:00, you may want to set your alarm for 3:30 and take him out then. (I know, sounds dreadful, but I only had to do that for about a week before my puppies were able to hold it a lot longer.)

Re: the crying unrelated to needing a potty break, I'd try:

- something warm and cuddly that he can snuggle with... e.g. a warm (not hot) hot water bottle inside a sock... they also sell stuffed animals that you can heat.

- something that smells like you... an old t-shirt or something

- a Kong chew toy stuffed with kibble and maybe a few treats (so he has something to keep him busy until he falls asleep... plus treats in the crate make him start thinking of the crate as a good place to be!)

- some kind of noise... a ticking clock, or one of those sound machines set to "heartbeat," or even music playing

- a comfortable bed (something with a bit of padding so he's comfortable!)

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
With all that in mind, what can I do to stop him from crying at night if he doesn't have to eliminate and only wants attention? I know I'll have to be more stern about the whole bringing him in bed with me, but what else is there to do to qualm him during the night?
By the sounds of it, he IS whining because he has to go potty. The general rule for puppy bladder size is that they can hold it for however many hours as months old they are. So your 3 month old guy can only hold it for THREE HOURS. This means you need to set an alarm and wake up every 3 hours to take him out. If you wait for the dog to start whining to wake you up to go out, you're teaching him that you want him to whine to get things he wants. This is bad. You need to get him out to potty BEFORE he starts whining and before he pees in his crate. He will never be house or crate trained if you allow that to continue.

·
Registered
334 Posts
and he won't eliminate when I take him outside because it's too cold for him (until the weather warms up, he has to use a pee pad laid down on the floor).
I should send you a picture of my 5lb chihuahua peeing in the snow that's higher than he is :p

A dog is a dog. Don't treat him like a little dog.

Do the shelties go outside to pee?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MrsJohnnyG
Re: New puppy and a doting owner...
Congrats on your new "baby"!

I'm a little confused - is he starting the crying at 4am because he needs to go to the bathroom, and it's a matter of your not getting to him on time? I wouldn't keep a pee pad in the crate, because you want him to think of his crate as his den (a pee-free place)... it sounds like if he's peeing at 4:00, you may want to set your alarm for 3:30 and take him out then. (I know, sounds dreadful, but I only had to do that for about a week before my puppies were able to hold it a lot longer.)

Re: the crying unrelated to needing a potty break, I'd try:

- something warm and cuddly that he can snuggle with... e.g. a warm (not hot) hot water bottle inside a sock... they also sell stuffed animals that you can heat.

- something that smells like you... an old t-shirt or something

- a Kong chew toy stuffed with kibble and maybe a few treats (so he has something to keep him busy until he falls asleep... plus treats in the crate make him start thinking of the crate as a good place to be!)

- some kind of noise... a ticking clock, or one of those sound machines set to "heartbeat," or even music playing

- a comfortable bed (something with a bit of padding so he's comfortable!)
Thanks for the congrads! :)

No, he goes in his crate... at least once a night, and when I take him out -as I said- he won't pee. And now, because of the parasites that were found in him two days after I bought him (I've had to talk to the breeder about that little issue) he's a bit... unlike himself. Now he goes through the night without crying a single time, but I expect that to start up again when he's off his medication. So anyway, as I said, he already goes in his crate so it shouldn't be a problem of having to go out, though like you said... I really should set my alarm clock to take him out.

And I'll try all of the things you suggested. :D It is a slight bit cold back there in my bedroom... it probably would help to have a hot water bottle or something to that effect. He does have a bed, though... he peed on it the other night, actually. I'm going to have to start working on the crate training thing, haha.

trumpetjock

By the sounds of it, he IS whining because he has to go potty. The general rule for puppy bladder size is that they can hold it for however many hours as months old they are. So your 3 month old guy can only hold it for THREE HOURS. This means you need to set an alarm and wake up every 3 hours to take him out. If you wait for the dog to start whining to wake you up to go out, you're teaching him that you want him to whine to get things he wants. This is bad. You need to get him out to potty BEFORE he starts whining and before he pees in his crate. He will never be house or crate trained if you allow that to continue.
That's the problem. He ISN'T crying because he has to go. When I take him out, he won't pee. He tries to play, and no matter how long I stand out there he will not go. But he hushes up when I stick him in bed with me, which I know is a bad thing. And now, because he's sick, he's peeing in his cage every night and not crying to be let out... and now I don't know at what time he's peeing. This morning, it looked like he just went right before I got up. I'll try to catch him before he goes, though.

Meghan&Pedro

I should send you a picture of my 5lb chihuahua peeing in the snow that's higher than he is :p

A dog is a dog. Don't treat him like a little dog.

Do the shelties go outside to pee?
I know that. And I DO take him outside to pee. He just won't go. He stands there or lays down... and he'll do so for as long as we're out there, whether it be five minutes or a half hour, shivering the whole time. The problem is, as a younger puppy, he was probably never taken outside by his previous owners and he's absolutely scared to death. Trust me, despite the fact that I may have brought him in bed with me, I'm not one of those prissy little dog people that carries their little fuzzy children around in bejeweled purses. It's more the fact that, because we're getting weather that's been in the single digits for the past three weeks, that I'd rather not stand outside and get frostbite while waiting a half hour for him to pee when he absolutely will not.

Westhighlander

Do you know the history of your dog's breed and why they have a thick coat?
Read my above response.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Hi! I had a similar problem with my puppy, Luna. It just took a few days for her to get used to going outside! The first time your pup goes outside it will probably be an accident... he won't realize he's supposed to go outside until you praise him outrageously every time he happens to go outside.

Luna got to the point where she would go outside for me, but not for my husband. He would stay outside with her for a LONG time, and then she would pee on the floor as soon as he came in. One day, I decided to watch them out the window. My hubby was just standing there, holding the leash patiently while Luna sat/laid down. He came in after awhile and I took them both back outside. This time I held the lead, and kept Luna's feet moving as long as she wasn't exhibiting potty type behavior (sniffing the ground, scouring about for a place to go). The three of us hadn't been outside very long before Luna went potty outside.

Just be patient, and observe/learn her behavior. Soon it will be easier to know if she's saying "oh, this is a cool leaf to play with" or "should I go here?" Even though you have other dogs, each dog's "language" is a bit different... plus puppies are in a class all their own! They could be thinking "I should pee here" and then they have an "ooh shiny!" moment and get distracted by some sight/sound/smell.

Luna was pretty bad the first few days I had her, but we're going on two weeks now and she's doing a lot better! We have very few accidents during the day, and nights are wonderful because I've learned her schedule. She doesn't wake me up to go, I wake her up to go. She used to whimper a lot when I put her in her crate, but now she goes right back to sleep without much of a fuss. (Question: is the puppy's crate in your room? If not, I would move it there).

Just stay strong and be patient. You WILL be sleep deprived for awhile... there's just no getting around it. Have your family member get earplugs/listen to the radio/etc. because otherwise they will be sleep deprived, too. :D

Disclaimer: I am by no means an expert, just a fellow new puppy owner who feels your pain. I live in Northern Wisconsin and it's COLD standing outside waiting for puppy to go!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
LOL, finally someone to understand my pain! We live in the NE United States... this week it's *supposed* to get into the forties/fifties, but who knows with all of this crazy weather. And unfortunately, all I have as far as outside wear goes is a coat.

I've been gradually trying to get Koda used to his harness and a leash... it feels so weird to have a dog that for once doesn't pull when you take him outside. Maybe that's what I've been doing wrong... like you said, keeping him moving. I've just been taking him outside and setting him in the grass then picking him up and setting him back down again when he laid down. I'll go out here when I'm finished writing this and try getting him to walk around. Man, it'd be a whole lot easier if he was already leash-trained. ;-)

Thanks so much for your support, Nikelodean79! It's always good to have advice from someone who has already experienced the troubles I'm having. :D

Westhighlander

http://www.americanpomeranianclub.org/history.htm

You have a cold weather dog.
But that's not the issue. He may be cold weather, but he doesn't know what to do yet when he goes outside. I haven't crossed that bridge yet.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
Man, it'd be a whole lot easier if he was already leash-trained. ;-)
Can say I have unrealistic goals on this... but by 3 months+ you should already have a HUGE dent in leash training done already. Puppies who aren't socialized to experiences on leash often times have trouble learning manners later. Not saying it's impossible later, just harder.

I stand by the fact that you need to let the pup out every 3 hours. If they don't go when you take them out, come back in for 15-30 minutes and right back out. Repeat until they go.

Every time the dog has an accident inside is a HUGE set back. It sucks, I know, but it has to be done.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
trumpetjock

Can say I have unrealistic goals on this... but by 3 months+ you should already have a HUGE dent in leash training done already.
I just got the puppy a week ago. He was 3 1/2 months old when I bought him; the breeder just didn't work with him at all.... which I know sounds really sucky in relation to the breeder, but oh well.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I just got the puppy a week ago. He was 3 1/2 months old when I bought him; the breeder just didn't work with him at all.... which I know sounds really sucky in relation to the breeder, but oh well.
It does sound really sucky as far as the breeder is concerned. If this is still the first week of your puppy, then I withdraw my earlier statement about leash training. The rest stands though!

Sorry you're having such a tough time with potty training... it's the worst part of having a puppy if they don't catch on fast.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah... but I'm attached now and I can't see myself taking him back, lol.

Potty training is just one of those tough things. I just need a bit of time, I suppose. I had to go through it with my 8-month-old GSD/Lab mix when I first got her, though the circumstances were much different. And supposedly, from what I've been told from my aunt who also is somewhat of an expert on the breed, Poms are terribly difficult to housebreak...

Thanks for the info, though!

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I know that... it's just that I believe now that my concern was warranted. I just took him outside today because for once the temperature was 60* (holy crap!) rather than in the chilling single digits and lower teens, and instead of standing in one spot and shivering like a whipped pup (no pun intended) he began to wander around. Granted, after all the snow and ice we got the ground is now so soggy your shoe sinks into the soil about an inch, but now that the weather was nice and there wasn't a lick of snow on the ground he's finally started wandering around. It took about five minutes, but he did. :)

But unfortunately that's the only breakthrough I've gotten today. I had him out for a half hour or more -even on a short walk- and he didn't eliminate. Yet as soon as I brought him in he peed on the carpet. Oh well, I suppose these things take time.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Just adding a note of encouragement. I know it's frustrating, but he WILL eventually get it and life will be so much easier and more fun with your pup.

When I got married, my husband's dog was 6 months old already... she had never done crate training (my husband didn't believe in it at the time :rolleyes:). He blocked off the tiled kitchen with baby gates while he was at work, with pee pads in one corner. That little monkey would jump the baby gates! I don't know how she did it but every day when he came home, he would find her scampering freely about the house, with new pee and poop decorating the carpet. By the time we got married and I was able to stay with her throughout the day and work with her on potty training, I had 6 months' worth of horrible habits to break.

It took months... I cried many times and got frustrated many times... but eventually she did get it and life has been so wonderful with her since then. All that is to say that at least you "only" have 3 months of "unlearning" to do... boys seem to be easier to housetrain than girls so I suspect your boy will make great progress over the coming weeks. Chin up and hang in there!
If they don't go when you take them out, come back in for 15-30 minutes and right back out. Repeat until they go.
:) My aforementioned pup would hold it while outside... whether we stood out there with her 3 minutes or an hour... and promptly squat and pee the second she walked in the door. :rolleyes: Oh well, thankfully those days are far in the past....

·
Registered
482 Posts
I think somebody better tell these "cold weather breeds" that they're supposed to like cold weather. ;)

We had a Pom growing up and he was not a fan of the cold. Plus, withstanding the cold isn't necessarily the same for a pup as it would be for a young dog. If a pup that is mostly used to the indoors (snuggly warm) is brought outside (sleet, snow, freezing rain, etc.), regardless of what kind of dog he is, he's going to feel cold!

As far as Poms being difficult to housebreak, I don't recall that we had a particularly difficult time. This was a long time ago (before wee wee pads!) and we used the "newspaper by the door" method with him. We didn't have a crate or even know about crate training.

I definitely see the value in crate training, though, and I'm currently training my pup using that method.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yep, that seems to be exactly what it is for Koda... he loves the snuggly indoors, but when he goes outside the ice, snow, and soggy ground just isn't appealing to him. As he gets older -and with the approach of spring (yay!)- it should be much easier to get him to go outside... But yes, it would be so much easier if someone were to tell these cold weather puppies that it's okay to go outside, haha.

Well, thank ya'll for all of your info! I'll try to put it to good use. :D

·
Registered
24 Posts
If he is going in his crate it is either too big or you arent taking him out enough. Also, if you are using a puppy pad in the crate they sometimes have a smell imbedded in them that gets them to "go " on it. If you have the puppy pad in the crate then i am assuming the crate is too big. The dog should only be able to stand up comfortably and turn around, thats it.

Dogs dont usually pee or poop in their sleeping area unless they have to. If you are using a pee pad on the floor INSIDE your dog is probably confused and thinks it is supposed to go inside and not outside. Next time she goes in the house pick it up and put it outside so he can smell it...even if its urine..sop it up with a paper towel and lay it outside on the ground. This will get him to go outside.

About the whining...ignore it. If you dont he will know that whining=i get to sleep in the bed. Dogs arent stupid. Ignore him!!!! no excuses. If the dog is whining because it needs to pee take it outside. If it wants to play ignore the dog and take it back inside and into the crate. Dont stand outside for a half hour. If he doesnt go in 5 minutes take him back in...make sure that your dog knows that it isnt playtime. Hope this helps!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts