Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

We’ve had our puppy Kiki for a little over a week. She’s 8 weeks and two days and is a German Shepherd Labrador mix. I’ve never had a dog before and have wanted one for years. I grew up with al my relatives having dogs and pets and figured it would be fun to have one too. However, I’ve broken down a few times because I feel so overwhelmed and alone. I’m 24 and still live at home. I’ll be the first to admit our home is clutter city and also thought getting a dog would become incentive to clean up. I love Kiki to death already, she’s a goober but can be very overwhelming. There’s so much conflicting advice online as well as the vet. I’ve bought puppy pad spray (it hasn’t worked at all) and every time I clean up a pee stain, she still pees on the floor in the same area. We don’t have room to put a fence around for an area she can play on and I haven’t taken her outside to pee or poop yet because our yard is also cluttered and does not have grass (we live in a tow home with a backyard equivalent to a patio). Our neighbors have dogs but obviously have more room than we do. I’m not giving up, I just need help and reassurance. I feel like I’m doing things wrong. She continues to bite and pull and bites the leash, harness and collar whenever I try to put them on her. I know she’s a puppy, and she’s going to take puppy classes starting at the end of the month. I just sometimes feel like I’m doing everything wrong and she’ll grow up to not listen to me. I’m not going to give up and I’m so happy to have her. Any advice would be welcome.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi all,

We’ve had our puppy Kiki for a little over a week. She’s 8 weeks and two days and is a German Shepherd Labrador mix. I’ve never had a dog before and have wanted one for years. I grew up with al my relatives having dogs and pets and figured it would be fun to have one too. However, I’ve broken down a few times because I feel so overwhelmed and alone. I’m 24 and still live at home. I’ll be the first to admit our home is clutter city and also thought getting a dog would become incentive to clean up. I love Kiki to death already, she’s a goober but can be very overwhelming. There’s so much conflicting advice online as well as the vet. I’ve bought puppy pad spray (it hasn’t worked at all) and every time I clean up a pee stain, she still pees on the floor in the same area. We don’t have room to put a fence around for an area she can play on and I haven’t taken her outside to pee or poop yet because our yard is also cluttered and does not have grass (we live in a tow home with a backyard equivalent to a patio). Our neighbors have dogs but obviously have more room than we do. I’m not giving up, I just need help and reassurance. I feel like I’m doing things wrong. She continues to bite and pull and bites the leash, harness and collar whenever I try to put them on her. I know she’s a puppy, and she’s going to take puppy classes starting at the end of the month. I just sometimes feel like I’m doing everything wrong and she’ll grow up to not listen to me. I’m not going to give up and I’m so happy to have her. Any advice would be welcome.
Once you get the hang of it. It's easy. Now puppies pull and bite they do that it's completely normal. You are going to have to put it on her anyway take her outside she needs to go outside. Take her on a run make her tired. Don't exhaust her as she is a puppy. They don't stop teething tell about 6 months. Also I love the name KIKI it's cute. You are going to have to relax not all dogs will go on puppy pads. Take her out about every hour. Play with her. :):)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
123 Posts
I wouldn't take her running, that is pretty tough on joints for a dog that young.

As to the pee spray, is it an enzyme cleaner you're using? Some work better than others for sure.

Those puppy classes are going to be a great help, but for now you can work on simple things. Build a relationship. Start slow, she's a baby. Love her lots! Help her learn that being calm is rewarding. I really like kikopup on youtube for training ideas. This puppy video is very short and a great place to start: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCwh7_SjUVM&list=PLF26FD559887E7EA4

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much! Actually today, she was okay in the morning but peed everywhere in the afternoon. Like, peed all over the tile in the kitchen. I don’t know if we fed or gave her too much water but we had taken her outside for th first time on the leash and kept eating at the grass. Also, we all are going to the movies right now and left her alone in the crate. She was pretty sleepy so I hope she’ll just sleep the whole time we’re gone. I hope I can get other advice from anyone else! Any other advice is welcome. But thank you to the one reply I got. It’s greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! I’ll have to look the videos up. It’s greatly appreciated. I got Bissell spray and was told it worked well. It hasn’t been working for us, but the living room smells like lavender now.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I wouldn't take her running, that is pretty tough on joints for a dog that young.

As to the pee spray, is it an enzyme cleaner you're using? Some work better than others for sure.

Those puppy classes are going to be a great help, but for now you can work on simple things. Build a relationship. Start slow, she's a baby. Love her lots! Help her learn that being calm is rewarding. I really like kikopup on youtube for training ideas. This puppy video is very short and a great place to start: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCwh7_SjUVM&list=PLF26FD559887E7EA4
I agree with actually playing with her is probably best I said and forgot her age I'm sorry

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Pls post a picture. Is she mostly brown, black, or shepard (GSD) colored. My avatar profile picture is Mikee, a 3yo Lab/GSD mix. My first Lab/GSD came from El Paso and he lived 16 years.

Depending on the mix, these grow into the sweetest dogs. They are impossible as puppies, b/c they can be energetic, intelligent, and tough.
1. Look up the term, "Bite Inhibition" to teach her to stop nipping. It works very well with this mix.
2. Start training her NOW. She can learn Sit, Down, Her name, Come, walking on a loose leash ... in about two weeks.
3. Bonding - Sit on the floor with cheese cubes, baby carrots, or broccoli. Take a bite and then give her the rest of one cube or veggie.
4. You can do this for 10 min. as part of training or just part of sharing & bonding. On the other hand, never give her table scraps.
5. For potty training, she may need to go out every 2 - 3 hours for a couple of weeks. It may be a little hard for you, but both of you will get better, and she should start to learn to be consistent by the time she's about 6 mos.
6. You can try to take her out when she wakes up, before you leave the house, when you come back home, after she eats, after she drinks, and before she goes to bed (and maybe before you go to bed).
7. Always watch her when she is in the house, or put her in the crate, so you can control her potty schedule. Pups are fast, and if they slip out of sight, they will pee on the floor.
8. Get her some chew toys: a small Kong, a hard rubber bone, and a soft toy. Maybe also a tug toy. Be careful that she may tear up the soft toy and try to eat the stuffing - not good.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
I think every one of us who had a young puppy for the first time felt overwhelmed at some time or other. They're biting, eating, peeing machines that never stop! But it does get better!

I agree with what everyone else has said. Learning games are great. They tire out a dog much faster than just running around. Puppies are little learning sponges. You can teach even the young ones so much.

If the Bissell stuff doesn't work, try Nature's Miracle. It's fairly cheap and you can get it anywhere: pet stores, Walmart, Target, etc. But definitely take her out when she first wakes up, after eating or drinking and after playing. She'll get the idea pretty quickly.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
If you don't have a crate, you need to get one. If you won't be able to watch her like a hawk, then pop her in her crate. When she's out of her crate, tethering her to you with a leash would be a good idea. If she's never loose unsupervised, then she won't have the opportunity to have an accident.

She needs to go out to potty after she wakes up, after she's eaten, after she's had a drink, after she's been playing for a while, any time she starts behavior that indicates she needs to potty (sniffing, circling, etc.), and ever 20 minutes just because. Take her out on a leash, and when she pees or poops, throw a party. Give her some treats, and tell her how wonderful she is. If she doesn't potty within five to ten minutes, take her back in and put her in her crate for five to ten minutes, then take her back out.

Labs and GSD are both known for being mouthy as puppies (they are called land sharks for a reason). Ian Dunbar has a good article on teaching bite inhibition.

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Pls post a picture. Is she mostly brown, black, or shepard (GSD) colored. My avatar profile picture is Mikee, a 3yo Lab/GSD mix. My first Lab/GSD came from El Paso and he lived 16 years.

Depending on the mix, these grow into the sweetest dogs. They are impossible as puppies, b/c they can be energetic, intelligent, and tough.
1. Look up the term, "Bite Inhibition" to teach her to stop nipping. It works very well with this mix.
2. Start training her NOW. She can learn Sit, Down, Her name, Come, walking on a loose leash ... in about two weeks.
3. Bonding - Sit on the floor with cheese cubes, baby carrots, or broccoli. Take a bite and then give her the rest of one cube or veggie.
4. You can do this for 10 min. as part of training or just part of sharing & bonding. On the other hand, never give her table scraps.
5. For potty training, she may need to go out every 2 - 3 hours for a couple of weeks. It may be a little hard for you, but both of you will get better, and she should start to learn to be consistent by the time she's about 6 mos.
6. You can try to take her out when she wakes up, before you leave the house, when you come back home, after she eats, after she drinks, and before she goes to bed (and maybe before you go to bed).
7. Always watch her when she is in the house, or put her in the crate, so you can control her potty schedule. Pups are fast, and if they slip out of sight, they will pee on the floor.
8. Get her some chew toys: a small Kong, a hard rubber bone, and a soft toy. Maybe also a tug toy. Be careful that she may tear up the soft toy and try to eat the stuffing - not good.
Everything Hanksimon said!

Bella is the same mix and is also super-sweet but at the same time stubborn and smart and knows how to use it! She was a furry alligator as a puppy, so just like Hanksimon said, early training and bite inhibition is a must especially since it sounds like she was removed from her litter a little too early.

There's nothing I can really add that wasn't already covered, but if your pup is food motivated like Bella, training should be pretty easy.

Pics of your girl would be awesome!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts