Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We adopted a shelter dog not knowing she was pregnant at the time, and now we have the puppies. How soon can you tell what breed(s) might now be added to the mix?

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
you can never know for sure but you can start to make very accurate assumtions once the dogs reach about 10 to 15 months old a smaller type can be guessed at sooner than a larger type.

it's pritty common that the dogs don't start to develope major identifying physical traits till they hit puberty

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
unless your a very experianced vet or breeder you usually can't tell if a dog is pregnant untill almost halfway into her pregnancy so I find it easy to beleave that a shelter could adopt out a pregnant dog without knowing it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She would have only been about 15 days pregnant when she was brought to the shelter as a stray and we got her a week later. At that time my vet suspected heat so delayed the spay. Turns out she was pregnant. We do have mandatory spay/neuter in our state for shelter animals.

The pound offered to provide food for the dog and pups as well as worming and shots.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
Awwwww!!! How cute!

·
Registered
12,574 Posts
How cute are they? I hope you would be so kind as to take a few hundred more pictures and post them. Closer up ones of each of the puppies would be fun. Just so you know, it is quite possible to have more then one father to the litter as well. So you might have one puppy with German Shepherd traits while another is half Chihuahua.
Just an example, don't worry. :) Looks like only 4 puppies? Um, could I see a closer one of the black and tan puppy? Please, Pretty Please. I am a sucker for those colors.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You've got to be kidding me? More than one father?

Everything went fine, thanks... she's just too thin is the only thing.

I'll try to get some more pictures, Inga.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
yep if the bitch breeds with multiple dogs in her heat cycle different eggs can be fertilized by different sperm. you may have some puppies that only get up to 20 pounds and then one puppy that gets up to 80 lol who knows

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
awww.....they are super cute...can't wait to see what they look like in a few weeks

Mom is going to burn a lot feeding the pups.....make sure you up her food and offer fresh water all the time....:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts