Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Belka Thread - Updated

Update Page 2: 5 months and 31.6 lbs

Well, after trying to talk the owners into keeping my Belka a little longer - they didn't. So - Belka is now home ^_^

When we got him we thought he was an Ivory color - kind of light brown like all the other pups in the litter. After good scrubbing with a soft toothbrush and warm water.... Belka's bright white. And sleeps.... A LOT. My only concern is that he has some little circles that kind of look like little scabs, possibly from flea bites. He goes to the vet next week. EDIT//: after calling the vet again this morning we now have an appointment tomorrow afternoon, especially when I mentioned he has a severe case of worms.

So of course I buy toys and spoil him rotten. He has two collars, both in the teal color and in two sizes for when he grows into them. He also went to work with me today ^^;

Attachments

·
Registered
549 Posts
Is there any way you can take him to the vet sooner? That seems like a long wait to take such a young covered with fleas puppy to the vet. He's really cute though!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately Monday was the earliest they had but, we did get a flea comb and have brushed him throughout the day removing any fleas we saw. I'm really wanting to get him dewormed soon because I know he has them. At this point in the day, I have only seen one flea on him in the last two hours and it was promptly removed. My other pup is also on frontline plus and rarely has fleas. So I'm hoping it's enough to last until Monday but I will call back tomorrow and see if they had a cancelation.

He gets tired so easily! Which I think is a side effect of the fleas and worms.... I'm also wondering if it's okay to put coconut oil on his tummy since it seems rather sensitive

·
Registered
320 Posts
Baby puppies sleep a lot when they are healthy too, so that alone probably isn't something to worry about...I'm nervous about the fleas, but not sure what the best course of action would be. Monday can't come soon enough, I'm sure the vet will have suggestions!

·
Registered
17,910 Posts
He is adorable! <3 congratulations

·
Registered
627 Posts
Just so cute; love the little spots on the nose!! Good luck at the vet; Oh have them clip the nails-they look very long and curved in the pictures this could cause scratches to Belka when she scratches.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just so cute; love the little spots on the nose!! Good luck at the vet; Oh have them clip the nails-they look very long and curved in the pictures this could cause scratches to Belka when she scratches.
Thank you! I hadn't noticed the nails beyond the "ouch" when he would cuddle. I'll definitely have the vet look at them today.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alisa♥;5171274 said:
Awww I love the side-eye he's giving in the first picture! Such a cute boy, he's so unique being so light-colored with very few markings, from the looks of things!
He has a few spots on his nose, a giant spot on his shoulder, and a few on his ears. And A LOT on his belly. While grooming him we can see a few random little circle under his white fur on his back that we think will show up as he gets older but not many at all. I just adore his nose! And his belly spots! He's just too adorable! And already hating that I take so many pictures

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Growing so fast !! Looks happy with his new friend.
He's putting on more weight now that he's fully transitioned to actual puppy food and doesn't have worms. Before if he hadn't eaten you could see his ribs and hips and now he's got a nice little pudge and his feet have gotten bulkier.

We were actually really worried about our Chihuahua mix not liking him (because he's such a grumpy old man) but he's so friendly with him! As you can see he's super over dramatic when the pup has him "pinned" and he rarely uses his teeth but rather kind of head butts him or just flops on top of him when he's done playing. And last night Belka whimpered in his sleep and Charlie was right there sniffing him and bumping his nose against his belly until he woke up.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Weekly pictures - I was out of town for the weekend and left him with my mom and he changed SO much. AND SPOTS. Oh my gosh he gained spots. Is this normal? The vet commented that she thought he was part dalmatian.

Attachments

·
Registered
320 Posts
Aww, yes that's normal, especially if there is some Dalmatian in there! Although you saw the siblings, were they mostly white when they were tiny babies? I've only seen a few Dal mixes, but the ones I've seen had all of the physical build and shape of the other breeds in the mix, while the coat coloring was totally Dalmatian! Belka's spots could continue to pop up over the next few weeks (and Prinna even has some "new" ones in the last month or so, although they were there all along, just too tiny to really notice until now that she's larger :p). The large spot (like the one on his neck) would be a "patch" assuming he was born with it, while the "spots" aren't there in the beginning and appear over the weeks after birth. ^_^

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Belka was the only completely white one in the litter. He had the spots on his nose and the patch at his neck and that was it. The others look like yellow or chocolate labs. We joke that we got the only one that looked like a pitbull. But then over the last week or two his spots have started showing up everywhere. He had some on his skin when we first got him but it seems suddenly he's popping up with more all over. I don't know if this is a pitbull thing or if it's just a "oopsie" of his mom or like a latent gene thing. lol

Either way he's getting a lot of double takes. People see pitbull and then they're like "wait...dalmatian? Lab? What is he??" I've taken to shrugging and saying "spoiled rotten".

1 - 20 of 35 Posts