Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our family lab that we have since a pup is now 10 and we and the vet estimate that we will likely only have him for another year or less.

We have had mixed thoughts about the advisability of getting a new pup while Zeke our older dog is still with us. We really dont want his final year of life to be miserable, yet we have come across a new pup that fits our needs. In addition our daughter will be home with us for this summer and will be another resource to help us train and deal with the challanges of having a new pup.

We would appreciate any similar experiences others may have had with an older dog and the interaction with a new pup. We are thinking it would be great for the new pup to have an older dog, to help show them the rules of the road. But we dont want it to hamper a great relatiionship we have had with Zeke over the years.

Thanks for your input.

Pat

·
Registered
6,195 Posts
Lucy was about 12 when I got Butch. She wasn't real happy with him at first but soon got used to him...she had the lip snarl down to an art form! They were never best buds (her best friend had died about 5 months prior to getting Butch) but got along fine. She forgave me and was with us for another 2 years.

Now Butch wasn't a puppy (1.5 yrs when I got him) but I got Mort as a kitten shortly after the other dog died and eventually she got to where she actually kinda liked him (he loved her!).

I know this doesn't really answer your question but I don't think it would be unfair to your current dog to have another one around. It's all a matter of balancing the needs of the puppy with your dog.

Good luck...and let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Just give both dogs equal attention/axercise and your older dog will accept the pup, and not be jealous of him.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts