Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everybody - Sorry for the long post...

So I have been reading and reading for months now and I have read the stickies but I still have some questions. We pick up our puppy next Saturday. We named her Onyx, she is an 8 week old half lab/half border collie. (We believe). We are adopting from a rescue org. I attached some pics.

With all the reading I have done on training I feel very combfortable on my plan but I do have anxiety about the first day and how I should begin the training right off the bat. I am sure the puppy will have a lot going on meeting me and a new home. Should I start with the positive reinforcement and training asap? Can I put her on a leash right away so she gets use to the collar/leash?

Another question is feeding, and feeding schedule. What food brand do you all recommned? The person that has helped me get Onyx uses an all natural diet. As far as feeding I plan to wake up early and walk her before work, my brother is going to walk in the afternoon and I will be home after work. I was thinking all food through kongs in the beggining but I would like to try and anticipate when she will need to go out?? How can I do that with Kongs?

I also want to know how long I can walk her, and if I can take her out around other dogs? This is what the rescue org. said has been done.."They will be parasite free, vaccinated 2x for DHPP (Galaxy DA2PPv) and nasal Bordetella. They are too young to be altered or receive a Rabies vaccination. " Do I have to wait to take her in public?

That's it for now, thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Hi Everybody - Sorry for the long post...

So I have been reading and reading for months now and I have read the stickies but I still have some questions. We pick up our puppy next Saturday. We named her Onyx, she is an 8 week old half lab/half border collie. (We believe). We are adopting from a rescue org. I attached some pics.

With all the reading I have done on training I feel very combfortable on my plan but I do have anxiety about the first day and how I should begin the training right off the bat. I am sure the puppy will have a lot going on meeting me and a new home. Should I start with the positive reinforcement and training asap? Can I put her on a leash right away so she gets use to the collar/leash?
Think about this as bringing a newborn baby home. Keep things quiet, give the dog a place of her own, no visitors for a while, forget about training (except potty training) for the first week or until she settles in. Take the dog out every 1-2 hours at least, in the beginning. When you cannot have both eyes on her put the dog in a safe place with a gate across the room (preferably a room with easy to clean floors that you can put her crate in as well) or in her crate.

Another question is feeding, and feeding schedule. What food brand do you all recommned? The person that has helped me get Onyx uses an all natural diet. As far as feeding I plan to wake up early and walk her before work, my brother is going to walk in the afternoon and I will be home after work. I was thinking all food through kongs in the beggining but I would like to try and anticipate when she will need to go out?? How can I do that with Kongs?
Feed the dog three times per day for the first 6 months, and I would feed from a bowl. Kongs are fine for entertainment but in the beginning you need to observe how much the dog is eating. Feed whatever the breeder is feeding for the first month or so until your dog is acclimated to the new surroundings. Too many changes right away is really going to upset the transition. If you leave the house around 8AM the dog will need to be taken out to potty just before you leave (try to feed morning meal while you are getting ready for work, in the safe room, then walk the dog before you leave), mid-morning, lunch time (and should be fed again), mid-afternoon, as soon as you get home from work, 1-2 hours later, then just before bed. Set an alarm to take the dog out at least every 2 hours during the night. If she is dry in the crate at 2 hours then you can try bumping up the alarm by 15 minutes every few days. Remember to pick up the water bowl 2 hours before bedtime so night time outings become fewer over time.

I also want to know how long I can walk her, and if I can take her out around other dogs? This is what the rescue org. said has been done.."They will be parasite free, vaccinated 2x for DHPP (Galaxy DA2PPv) and nasal Bordetella. They are too young to be altered or receive a Rabies vaccination. " Do I have to wait to take her in public?

That's it for now, thank you!
Yes, you have to wait until ALL vac's a fiinished. Vac's are given every few weeks because all puppies have a different time span when they lose their mother's immunity. So we try to vaccinate every few weeks to find that window between lost maternal antibodies and exposure to the offending virus. In the meanwhile, no dog gathering places, no pet stores, no dog parks, avoid eliminating where other dogs go...the only thing I allow with a new puppy is a friend's dog who is perfectly healthy and is fully vaccinated to visit for play dates.

Besides, your dog is going to need some adjustment time, keep things pretty quiet except for play sessions with you, let the puppy acclimate and get used to the new environment. This little one has had lots of changes over the last few weeks of being taken away from the bitch and siblings, transferred to a rescue, and now going to your house. Give the little guy a break for a few weeks.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Lot of great advice, thank you. I will let her relax I guess I just feel a little pressured when I read articles that say you should socialize with 100 people etc. etc. and not a lot of time.

I had also read that many people feed all the food through kongs and as treats for training but I like your method so I can get a schedule. Every 2 hours at night? I didn't know that and great tip to take the water bowl 2 hours before bed.

As far as the vaccines, can I take her for short walks with no other dogs before they are complete?? If so, how long can I walk a puppy? 1/2 mile?

Thanks

·
Registered
428 Posts
this is what I did with my puppy we got recently. we had her on a leash with us at all times, unless in a crate. we took her out every time she drank, ate, or every 1-2 hours, unless at night, then we only did it when she moved in her crate. you have to figure out for yourself the best way to do that. either keep the crate in your room or wake her up after 4 hours. (yes, it is a GREAT idea for you to crate train, it keeps puppies out of trouble when you are out of the house)

for feeding, we had 3 set training times. you should enforce NILIF (nothing in life is free) with your puppy, so that you are always be alpha. I find that if your dog is not gaga over her kibble, don't bother with using her food as treats, just feed in the bowl. but if she does obedience with her kibble, it will make your life easier because you don't have to deduct her food to the amount of treats she gets(you do have to do this so she stays a healthy weight) if you do feed from the bowl, you should have her sit, or do a trick before her meal. Also, if she doesn't finish ALL her food before, say, 15-20 min, pick it up. she'll get the idea after a while.
for food, we feed our GSD (large breed like your puppy) natural choice large puppy food. it is only about $35 for 50 lb.

please do formal training with her AFTER she has all her shots. its is a great bonding experience, it socializes her, and it teaches you how to train. you can clicker train, or you can not. it doesn't really matter what method you use, as long as it is positive reinforcement.

I think that is everything :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. The only thing I am not doing is a crate. Instead I am doing a playpen area that is on hard floor for accidents with a dog gate. The reason I am not crating and I know here comes the comments some people can't stand, I work 8 hours a day, and I can't expect a puppy not to pee in a crate. My brother will be coming by at noon or so but if something happens and he can't, I don't want to use a crate.

·
Registered
63 Posts
even tho it has been a while since i brought my pups home this is what i did.

because of my work schedule i was able to do this.
i made my couch into my bed, and slept with Thunder, i would leave the back door open and he was able to come and go when he needed to go potty. i did this for about 3 weeks, and he was house broke, lots of late nights and early mornings ;).

when it came to eating and drinking i had food and water accessable 24 hours a day 7 days a week, ( we free feed), and we never had potty accidents.

as for walking them on a lease i would start out and let the puppy choose how far to go, when i walked thunder, we would start out around the block and increase from there. but, do not dog walks or go around other dogs until all vacs are done and the vet gives you the go ahead.

all in all i would allow the dog to let you know when they are ready, i have done this with all my dogs and have had 200% success. they are well mannered, well behaved ( well, unless it is toy time ;) ))

oh, i would also get a "doggie toy box" and fill it with all sorts of toys for him/her to play with. mine have had one since we brought them home, and they love it.

since i am a firm non beleiver of crates, i commend you for putting up a playpen area for the pup, it gives more freedom, yet, they will still feel a part of the family.

good luck and have fun.

·
Registered
428 Posts
playpen is good, just as long as the puppy doesn't learn she can jump over it. I can understand why you would want a playpen instead of a crate. (about how big is it?) try teaching her how to use a "doggy litter box". this would hopefully keep your house breaking mostly intact, as opposed to just letting her pee wherever. you take the surface you want your dog to pee on outside, ie grass, in which case you would put a piece of sod, far away from her 'nest', which could be a crate, just for sleeping, not locking her up. her 'nest' could be a dog bed, or just some blankets. I think the crate would be best, she would be less likely to chew plastic than cloth. also, dogs like the den-like felling it gives them. she would also need toys good for chewing. kongs come to mind, but you said you didn't want to do that. try and find good, strong, rubber chew toys for her. and a toy box like suggested is a good idea.

just some advice from experience. did you read these books? they were a great tool for me.
http://www.amazon.com/Before-After-Getting-Your-Puppy/dp/1577314557

have fun with your puppy!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Pen area is about 4X5 with a dog bed, many chew toys, and yes I have kongs. I was asking about them because I have conflicting advice...I have read the before getting your puppy e-version from Doctor Dunbar..See attached. Same one? I just want some other opinions.

I was going to use paper in the far corner but the sod idea sounds good..What about bugs?

even tho it has been a while since i brought my pups home this is what i did.

because of my work schedule i was able to do this.
i made my couch into my bed, and slept with Thunder, i would leave the back door open and he was able to come and go when he needed to go potty. i did this for about 3 weeks, and he was house broke, lots of late nights and early mornings ;).

when it came to eating and drinking i had food and water accessable 24 hours a day 7 days a week, ( we free feed), and we never had potty accidents.

as for walking them on a lease i would start out and let the puppy choose how far to go, when i walked thunder, we would start out around the block and increase from there. but, do not dog walks or go around other dogs until all vacs are done and the vet gives you the go ahead.

all in all i would allow the dog to let you know when they are ready, i have done this with all my dogs and have had 200% success. they are well mannered, well behaved ( well, unless it is toy time ;) ))

oh, i would also get a "doggie toy box" and fill it with all sorts of toys for him/her to play with. mine have had one since we brought them home, and they love it.

since i am a firm non beleiver of crates, i commend you for putting up a playpen area for the pup, it gives more freedom, yet, they will still feel a part of the family.

good luck and have fun.
Thank you! I like the crate idea much better myself as well. I have read about a toy box other places as well. Why is this?

·
Registered
428 Posts
Pen area is about 4X5 with a dog bed, many chew toys, and yes I have kongs. I was asking about them because I have conflicting advice...I have read the before getting your puppy e-version from Doctor Dunbar..See attached. Same one? I just want some other opinions.

I was going to use paper in the far corner but the sod idea sounds good..What about bugs?
well this is the after part. of that book. it is an online book, so no money! it is really helpful.
http://sz0128.wc.mail.comcast.net/s...uppy(2).pdf?auth=co&loc=en_US&id=29860&part=4
is this the one you read?
http://sz0128.wc.mail.comcast.net/s...r Puppy.pdf?auth=co&loc=en_US&id=29860&part=3

with the sod, I think if you buy it, it doesn't come with bugs. I'm not sure, so you might want to research that. I'm pretty sure there are safe for use around pet bug killers though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great, thanks. I am going to look over everything tomorrow. I am very excited I just want to get off to a good start.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I can imagine how excited you must be! I cant wait to see pictures of beautiful Onyx (great name by the way, how did you come up with it?) in her wonderful new home! I'm sure she will be loads of fun for you!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts