Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
our new pup which is a pitbull/am bulldog mix plays very rough with our pitbull/beagle mix. When they wrestle around, she(the pup) always gets too rough and tries to rip the other dogs ear off by biting it and pulling. The other dog is pretty easy going with her but he has twice now yelped, ran her down and pinned her by her throat. Now he didnt hurt her but he meant business. Alls it takes is a quick and loud shhh!, but when they are in our yard we cant always be watching them. Once I correct with the Shhh, the larger dog immediately licks the puppy.

How can we make her stop being such a bully? We do not want her to be like this obviously because it is her nature to be animal aggressive.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
It's a puppy. Puppies have no bite inhibition at all. Usually they learn it from other dogs and the beagle may be trying to teach the pup some manners.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Agree, let the older dog teach the pup right and wrong. Adult dogs move fast and speak loudly to boisterous pups but rarely do they lose their cool and hurt them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't understand this statement...can you please clarify?
what i meant is that if she is not trained and socialized correctly, then as a pitbul mix it is more likely for her to be animal aggressive. Im not saying pitbulls are mean dogs and solely because she is a pitbull that she will hurt other animals, i meant the possibility exists if certain behavior is not corrected, and i was wondering if this is one of those behaviors that needs corrected. I know per caesar millan that it is dog first, then breed second, so just because shes a pitbull mix doesnt mean anything, but we just want to be sure that she learns its not ok to do that ya know?

·
Registered
473 Posts
That's exactly what your older dog is teaching her. Grown dogs tend to be very patient w/ pups and let them get away with a lot, but when the line gets crossed they let them know. Sounds to me like that is what is happening here. Happened at my house all the time when we got Fergus (also a Bully Breed puppy) and slowly but surely he's learning what is and isn't acceptable play behavior and the yelps are getting few and far between.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Dogs play rough...I'm figuring this out with my two. The older dog is correcting the younger one for goign too far...that is good. They will figure it out

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
but when they are in our yard we cant always be watching them.
I don't know how old your puppy is, but their play should be observed by someone until your pup is about 4 months old. They shouldn't be left alone together before that, IMO.

I agree with the others. Your dog is doing you and the puppy a favor. I wouldn't correct him as long as he's not hurting her.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had the same problem with my pit puppy at first. She was a shelter rescue, and had not learned bite inhibition yet.

After about a month with my 2 older dogs, she was fine. Your other dog should teach the puppy bite inhibition. When the puppy bites too hard, the other dog won't play with her (by walking away, ignoring her, etc.) or will show the puppy it's not ok to bite so hard by showing the puppy who's boss (it sounds like your dog favors this method!).

Just make sure you keep an eye on the dogs while they're together to make sure your older dog doesn't get too fed up.

It's normal for puppies to play rough, and doesn't have much to do with the breed at all. Don't worry too much, give it time and the puppy will learn bite inhibition.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts