Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I got a new puppy yesterday. His previous owners (breeders) fed him puppy Pro Plan, and he did ok on that, but I bought him Wellness for puppies. Im mixing about a cup of each to get him on the wellness for good. He eats it ok, a little here and there. But he eats about 10 mins and then abour later wants more, should i leave food for him to eat or just stay at the 3 times a day even though he crys for food? Also his poop is coming out a lil runny, is that from the food change? thanks

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Your pup's poop may be a little runny because you're switching the foods too fast. Especially because you are switching from Pro Plan to Wellness, which is a richer food. Start with a 1/4 part Wellness and 3/4 parts Pro Plan and feed that for 2 or 3 days. Then do 1/2 and 1/2 for 2-3 days. Then 3/4 parts Wellness and 1/4 part Pro Plan for another 2-3 days. Then finally, all Wellness. Usually, it is recommended that a switch takes about 10 days but maybe extend it to two weeks. Depending on how old he is, you could add another feeding time to four times a day; just divide his daily food intake into 4 feedings. You can increase the amount of food by 1/4 cup and then watch if he's gaining too much weight. If he starts to gain too much, decrease the amount of food. You want to make sure you are not over feeding a puppy.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Take it easy, your pup just got home. It is going to take a few weeks to figure everything out. I would offer food many times a day on a schedule for a couple days as he is a baby and just learning all this stuff. Bet inside a week he will be back to 3-4 times a day and eating all in his dish. So potty/feed at 7 AM, 10 AM, 1 PM, 4 PM, 7 PM, 10 PM for right now and move to 5 feedings as you see he is getting this eating from a dish without all his litter mates around, then 4 and finally 3 until he is 6 months old or so.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts