Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well about two weeks ago I brought Tucker home from Spokane. He started on Beneful for puppies. I most certainly want to get him on something else, but not sure what. For the past week Iv been mixing beneful and EaglePack for small/medium dogs. After reading a bit, I just came to realize that he needs to be on food for large/giant breeds.

Today, I went to the vet and picked up a large bag of Eagle Pack for large/giant breed pups. I decided to do some reading before opening the bag of food and now Im having second thoughts. The 3rd or 4th ingredient is corn, which seems to be least desired source of protein... more so than any other protein.

My other concern may be a little controversial, but after reading literature on puppy food I figured Id address it here. Should I consider food that meets AAFCO standards/tests and provides AAFCO nutrient profiles? "Food that provides nutrients for all life stages?" I know Eagle Pack does not test, most likely for ethical reasons(which is respectable).

Right now, Im considering returning the Eagle Pack, but Im not sure what to replace it with. Any suggestions?

Meet Tuck!

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
If you're looking for a puppy food, I think Solid Gold, Wellness, Innova, Chicken Soup and Blue Buffalo are worth checking out.

If you'd rather go the all-life stages route (which is what I'd do, personally) you can try looking at Natural Balance, Timberwolf or Taste of the Wild.

By the way, Tucker is ADORABLE.

·
Registered
296 Posts
If you're looking for a puppy food, I think Solid Gold, Wellness, Innova, Chicken Soup and Blue Buffalo are worth checking out.
ditto above
I personally won't buy unless it is up to aafco standards. then you know exactly what each ingredient means, you know someone has tested the food to sustain life, and its up to manufacturing standards.
What you want is a food that meets aafco, but goes beyond that.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I like Timberwolf, Royal Canin, Pinnacle, Eagle Pack Hollistic Select, Nature's Logic, Solid Gold and Natural Balance. There are more good foods, too! There's lots to choose from...Tuck is one adorable puppy!!! Good and WET, just like a good Golden Retriever should be! :cool:

·
Registered
21 Posts
My golden ate Wellness for the 1st yr of her life and did very well on it. Also tried Solid Gold puppy, but the size/shape of the kibble was difficult for Rylee to eat, so we stuck with Wellness.

And I agree - your puppy is adorable! Makes you wonder how we don't all end up taking home the whole litter!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the response and compliments. I decided to start him on Innova for large breed puppies. Im feeding him 3 times a day and he seems to be doing very well.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Tucker is SO cute! Congratualations!

I feed my guy Blue Buffalo and he loves it and is doing fine on it. He has lots of energy, clear eyes, wet nose & a shiny coat....and his poops are terrific! lol ;);)

Good Luck to you & Tucker!:)

·
Registered
354 Posts
My cocker spaniel started on Innova puppy, and then I switched to Wellness puppy until she was about 1 year old. Now, she is on innova evo red meat and chicken. My dogs do well on both of these brands. If you want to feed innova then go with the puppy because the innova evo is not recommended for puppy for its high protein content. Both these brands also has a higher price tag in other brands.

BTW, your puppy is really cute. Is it a golden or a lab?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts