Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We brought this pup home from a shelter on Saturday. He's about 2.5 months old and was already crate trained. I took the week off to get him used to everything and i'm trying to get him used to us being gone.

My wife and I both work full time but i'll be coming home for lunch.

Whenever I put him in the crate in the moring and then again when I pull him out for lunchand put him back in he barks like a madman.

I know he doesn't have to potty because he went both before I brought him back in.

Help!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A puppy pacifier.
What will this accomplish? It will keep him busy for a few minutes and the what? I would think when be's done then he'd start going off again. What about the times we just needed to run An errand, that pacifier seems overkill. Please help explain it more :)

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Both my dogs have Kongs. Cupid gets the canned version of his food with some kibble and treats mixed in. Clayton gets plain yogurt with his kibble mixed in. After I put together the mix, I freeze the Kong. They have to lick and gnaw and lick some more to get to everything.

It keeps the boys occupied for the better part of an hour--a good length of time for an errand.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both my dogs have Kongs. Cupid gets the canned version of his food with some kibble and treats mixed in. Clayton gets plain yogurt with his kibble mixed in. After I put together the mix, I freeze the Kong. They have to lick and gnaw and lick some more to get to everything.

It keeps the boys occupied for the better part of an hour--a good length of time for an errand.
What do u do when you're gone way longer?

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
What will this accomplish? It will keep him busy for a few minutes and the what? I would think when be's done then he'd start going off again. What about the times we just needed to run An errand, that pacifier seems overkill. Please help explain it more :)
From the dog's POV it accomplishes MANY important things. 1) Crate = Kong = Good, 2) You leave = Crate = Kong = Good. 3) Kong = Mental/Physical Activity = I need a nap. 4) Crate = I need to nap. Your pup is likely to nap for the majority of time you're gone, so long or short, it shouldn't matter. As long as you're not there to reinforce the whining, it should extinguish on its own.

If you think it's overkill, you must then also have a better idea that accomplishes what you want?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From the dog's POV it accomplishes MANY important things. 1) Crate = Kong = Good, 2) You leave = Crate = Kong = Good. 3) Kong = Mental/Physical Activity = I need a nap. 4) Crate = I need to nap. Your pup is likely to nap for the majority of time you're gone, so long or short, it shouldn't matter. As long as you're not there to reinforce the whining, it should extinguish on its own.

If you think it's overkill, you must then also have a better idea that accomplishes what you want?
So how often would u be giving this kong and when to wean them off of it?

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
So how often would u be giving this kong and when to wean them off of it?
The dog decides that but, it also depends on how consistent you are at extinguishing the whining/barking. Personally, I believe it is a good habit to reinforce Crate = Kong = Good forever, but not necessarily always throughout the dog's life. However, you'll know when to begin weaning down to occasional offerings once your dog starts offering the behavior you're looking for regularly. I presume that's no whining, no barking.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I don't crate mine. They are confined to the laundry room, which gives them plenty of room to roam around and play in. But I don't give them full access to the house or they would get into trouble. :) Although I think they sleep for much of the time.

My boys do have crates, but they use them more to have private time and/or to get away from each other. :p

No need to wean them off the Kong. It's a treat for them. I give them one a day. Just make sure to deduct the amount of food you put in the Kong from the amount of food they get that day so you're not overfeeding.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info guys.

I think I'll start deducting some food from his breakfast and lunch and putting it in the kong and letting him go at it for when I crate him. Does that sound like a fair idea?

Would the be okay to do twice a day? At night he's not anxious, as his crate is in our bedroom, and as long as I'm in there, he won't whine.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
I think I'll start deducting some food from his breakfast and lunch and putting it in the kong and letting him go at it for when I crate him. Does that sound like a fair idea?
Absolutely. If you can prepare the Kongs ahead of time, and moisten whatever is inside, and freeze them, they'll last longer than your normally stuffed Kong. I'd still put something a little special and enticing in there, just to give it that added value. Cheese, PB...something novel worth working for. But it's okay, if he's content with just kibble.

Would the be okay to do twice a day? At night he's not anxious, as his crate is in our bedroom, and as long as I'm in there, he won't whine.
If you can get away without at night, certainly. You just need to be consistent when you know you'll have problems.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So far not so good :(

I filled up one of his kongs with some of his breakfast, and a bit of PB to hold it in the bottom.. He sniffed it and went right into his crate after it, and I left to take my son to school.

I come back and he's barking and whining away. He already went potty twice before I left, so I know he doesn't need to potty.

Should I just ignore his behavior completely?

·
Registered
31 Posts
What have you done when he's whined up to this point, before the Kong? If he's whined and barked and you've let him out, its reinforcing his reaction.

Maybe the crate training went too quickly. Maybe the best thing to do is to be at home when he's in his crate and once he is quiet for a minute or two, them let him out. But do not reinforce his barking/whining with letting him out of his crate.

Also, whatever motivates your dog, try and associate that with the crate. Maybe its toys rather than treats. You could also try putting into the crate a shirt or towel that has your scent on it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What have you done when he's whined up to this point, before the Kong? If he's whined and barked and you've let him out, its reinforcing his reaction.

Maybe the crate training went too quickly. Maybe the best thing to do is to be at home when he's in his crate and once he is quiet for a minute or two, them let him out. But do not reinforce his barking/whining with letting him out of his crate.

Also, whatever motivates your dog, try and associate that with the crate. Maybe its toys rather than treats. You could also try putting into the crate a shirt or towel that has your scent on it.
I've just ignored him. The kong's not really working. It keeps his attention for a minute. I might try the frozen one tommorow.

He's just got done with a 10 minute barking spree and i'm sure he'll start up again in a bit.

I just took him for a walk too. He was panting when we were done so i'm sure it was a good long walk for him too.

What the heck do I do? He's not been here for a week now so all he wants to do is run around and sniff/eat everything in the house.

What exercises have u guys done that help condition ur pup to a crate. I van work with him on that this weekend. I gotta do something tho. I don't want my neighbors thinking i'm abusing my poor pup when i'm gone. And I don't want him to bark in his crate his whole life

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
So far not so good :(
This isn't something that's going to be "good" after 1 trial. You need time, patience, and practice. Practice = crate, walk out door, come immediately back in...crate, walk out door, stay out for a minute, walk back in. So on and so forth until you've reached a happy limit. Time and patience.

Should I just ignore his behavior completely?
Yes! And guess what? It gets worse before it gets better.
http://www.shirleychong.com/keepers/archives/bursts.txt

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
My dog showed no interest in the Kong until I came up with the frozen combination. When I just put his food and treats in there . . . eh. He wasn't excited.

I put in a dallop of his canned food, then kibble. Then another dallop, and more kibble and a small treat. I top it off with one last dallop of canned, and put it in the freezer. This combination he gets excited about.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I gave him a frozen treat kong this morning and it kept him occupied for all of 10 minutes. When I came back he was whining again. When he finally quieted down I took him out and he needed to pee. He's next to me sleeping right now. I took him for a 25 minute walk before I brought him back and made him go pee outside. so I know he's tired.

I go back to work next week and won't be home to take him out from about 7:40am till about noon. I dunno what to do. I don't what to do.

Last night we had him go pee outside and crated him so we could go get some dinner. When we got home he had pooped and peed on his crate and had poop all over the crate and himself.

I'm just not sure what to do and what exercises to work with his crate with him :(

·
Registered
31 Posts
What kind of dog do you have? How old is he? Do you have a laundry room your could keep him in for a little bit besides crating him?

I wish I had answers for you, but maybe you implemented the crate training too quickly. You may have to go back to square one and go a little more slowly, even though you have to work on Monday.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
What kind of dog do you have? How old is he? Do you have a laundry room your could keep him in for a little bit besides crating him?

I wish I had answers for you, but maybe you implemented the crate training too quickly. You may have to go back to square one and go a little more slowly, even though you have to work on Monday.
No laundry room or any other room I would feel coMfortable leaving him in while we,re gone.

How should I restart crate training him? I've read so much conflicting info. Not really sure how to get him to like it and how to help him get rid of his separation anxiety.

I forgot to mention. My boy is a blue heeler or a blue heeler mix

·
Registered
31 Posts
He needs to know that you are going to come back once you leave him in his crate. I would try to identify his favorite toy/food, put that in his crate with something that has your scent on it. Open the crate door, maybe slap some peanut butter on the back of it. When he walks in on his own accord, praise and treat some more. Keep the door open the first few times he walks in and out of the crate so he does it by himself. After a few times of doing this, get him to walk into his crate, then gently close the door, but remain next to the crate opening so he knows your are there, praising and treating him, trying to make it comfortable for him. Don't leave him in there with the door closed too long. After doing this a few times, praise him with the door closed and then get up without any fanfare and leave for 1 minute. Come back in and without any more fanfare, let him out of his crate when he's quiet. Keep increasing the time, 1 minute....2 minutes....3 minutes...etc.

Whatever you do, NEVER make a big deal putting him in or taking him out of the crate. Always try and open the crate up after he's been quiet for 5 - 10 seconds. If you open it up while he is barking, whining it'll only reinforce that reaction.

Most of all, it takes patience....constant patience. If he's not quiet, just sit there with your back to him or not making eye contact until he is quiet for a 5 - 10 second time frame. You could be sitting there for a while, but it'll be worth it

1 - 20 of 27 Posts