Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a thread a couple of weeks ago asking if anybody had an idea as far as breed(s)? She is still probably too young to tell but I figured I would post them anyway. We are just trying to prepare for the most we can so am interested about what kind of dog she is. The people we are rescuing the puppies with think she is a border collie mix. I can see some lab maybe??

We get her on 6/6. Can't wait!

I have decided not to crate her. This is because we work 8 hours a day so I am going to try and paper train while she is young. We are gating off a 5 X 5 area instead. Anybody have advice with this? It is really my only big concern after doing months of research.

Attachments

·
Registered
472 Posts
They do look part Collie.

A puppy can only be left alone for an hour or two at a time as they can't hold it. Paper training a medium to large breed dog, as your dog will probably be, isn't practical, as you don't want a 40-60lb (or more) dog eliminating in the house. Not to mention collies are a very active breed, and active breeds like that will chew and be destructive if they are bored and aren't stimulated.

Is there a dog sitter you can hire to take care of the puppy?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
HersheyBear - I realize it would not be practical for an older dog to eliminate inside. I was only going to do this while she is too young to hold her bladder for too long. What would you advise us to do while we are at work? This is the one topic I really know I am going to get a beaten for on here. I have done so much research and it's the only part of this I am not feeling good about. Many people tell me don't worry they worked too, and others are harsh about it. I really need some advice here. I can look into a dog sitter but I am not sure what that is going to cost and for how long?...I have already purchased plenty of kong toys and things for her. She will be gated off in a tiled area of my kitched with a bed, toys, etc. etc.

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts