Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are picking up our new addition on Saturday and I'm wondering what food is best for the breed price does not matter. We want a well balanced diet to keep her healthy. The seller has the pups on Iams large breed puppy food but we are not fans of commercial brand foods.

·
Registered
511 Posts
There is a good site to read reviews of dog foods to help you decide what to feed.
www.dogfoodadvisor.com

I used this site when I fed kibble. I have a smaller breed and fed her Blue Buffalo Wilderness and Nature's Variety Instint. Since 12/21/11 both of my puppies have been fed a raw diet and are doing amazing! My youngest puppy started raw the day I brought him home when he was almost 8 weeks old.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
When it comes to food good food is good food. My personal favorites are NV-Instinct, Taste of the Wild, and Fromms. The site that Kathy gave you is a good one.
Whatever you choose make sure you transition the puppy off of the Iams over a period of time.

·
Registered
468 Posts
If price is not an issue I highly suggest feeding raw. If raw is an option some other great brands to dry are Primal, Vital Essentials, Stella and Chewy's. There are also some really great dehydrated raw foods. Not as good as fresh raw, but still really good. Stella and Chewy's makes dehydrated raw, ZiwiPeak makes an awesome dehydrated raw that I have been dying to try out. Also, if you do feed raw, some things to thing about are whether or not you choose to include fruits and veggies in their diet. Primal, Nature's Variety, and Stella and Chewy's all have veggies in them, Vital Essentials is all meat, bone, and organ.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
With that size of a dog I am glad money is not an issue in feeding it Let us know what you decide on feeding your pup, It is always good to hear feedback.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all so much I have been doing so much research on food in the past few days. We are going to look into a raw diet but not ready for it yet we want to figure out a good foods and the right diet plan for the pup. We are thinking kibble for now from everything I have read protein is one big thing when choosing a food we have read that it needs to be low for the correct growth and for their metabolism. These are the foods that we have narrowed it down to, Eagle Pack, Innova, 4 Heath, and we also were looking at the Natures Variety but it had a high protein percentage. From what I have read in a few different places its best to keep protein around 22%. Innova and Eagle Pack are the lowest when it came to protein, also move readily available in our area. Open to thoughts on the few food choices that I have narrowed it down to. Thank you all so much for your time and help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thought I would mention that for Eagle Pack and Innova I was looking at the Large Breed Puppy formula for the brands.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm new to this forum but love dogs!!! I have owned many dogs over the past 32 years including a doberman and great dane. I have four dogs now ranging in age from 2 yrs to 15 1/2 and weighing from 8 lbs to 85 lbs. Over the past two years I have fed my dogs Life's Abundance. It is the first food that has allowed me to feed all my dogs the same food and they actually ate it!! They actually like it. I've had all kinds of foot licking, pulling out hair and weight gain problems before. My Shepherd was 15 lbs underweight and people thought I wasn't feeding him. He was eating, just not gaining. My Border Collie had hip issues and limped, my Havanese would rip out his hair. I breed Havanese and I have weaned both my litters onto Lifes Abundance, which can also be used for puppies. I love this food. It is a human grade food with great ingredients. It can not be bought in stores and is delivered directly to your home. If you auto ship it is a little cheaper.....If you go to my site, you may see all of my dogs, what they look like, their coats and how my pups looked and how they have turned out. It's a wonderful food!! I love it!!
Btw...all the problems I had with these four no longer exists. All have healthy coats and no allergies. My GSD has gained his weight and looks fantastic!! My Border Collie is no longer on glucosomine and no longer limps.....Also; my girlfriend has a Chihuahua. Her dog Cookie had tremendous hair trouble. She was given expensive Oatmeal baths every other week because she had bald spots. Now she is on L's Abundance too and all of her hair is back. She looks great! My friend stopped the food this past summer and Cookies hair began falling out again. She is back on Life's Abundance and I believe she is on it for life now!! lol.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Life's Abundance has a 4/5 star rating on dogfoodadvisor, but it does have brown rice and oat grouts (?) as the 2nd and 3rd ingredients and is primarily grain based.

·
Registered
3,518 Posts
Whole Dog Journal febuary issue is all about dog food. Some articles are free and some will cost to join on the website. good information on the website. A co-worker brought her magazine to work. You are wise to consider the availability of the food in your area.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all so much for all the ideas I have been looking in to them all and www.dogfoodadvisor.com helped out. Thanks for the link Kathy. We are now looking in to Blue Buffalo Wilderness or Nature's Variety Instint. Both are available in the area for others I would have to drive over an hour (with a 2yr old) to a pet store. They also have a 5 star rating on the food advisor sight. I hope that which ever one my husband and I decide is the right choice. It really is like having another kid, lol. Now on to trying to find a good vet in my area. Can't wait to get the pup Saturday morning we are going to name her Aria. Thanks again to all of you not a single idea went un-researched.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts