Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all,

I have another post where I was looking for a dog and was able to adopt one from the humane society here in south dakota.

We were able to get a 1yr 7 month old Blue Heeler/Border Collie mix.

Now, for a few things before the questions.

When we got him he was super calm and loved being around people and sitting in laps. When reading about the breed, its not very typical at all of a ACD or border collie! No matter I suppose because every dog is different. This one appears to be very shy and almost couch potato like. I don't mind this at all, hes so loving and his temperment is perfect! That being said Im not "encouraging" this couch potato likeness by just letting him sleep around the house all day but its nice when hes inside.

Now for some questions!

First and foremost, the name. He was given the name Boozer by his previous owners, a name im not too fond of as it sounds like a drunk! He doesn't seem to respond to that name either so we're going to change it now. But thats the problem....to what!?

Im stumped on a name for him! I wanted a human name, like a masculine male name, but nothing that would imply being agressive or a fighter, kinda hard to explain. I was trying to stay away from object names but there are some good ones like smokey, bandit...etc Any suggestions?

Second question. I noticed he nurses on blankets when he lays down, i read this isn't a problem but I should encourage or discourage this behavior. Just wondering if it may have long term effects or if its no problem to let it happen. As you can see from the photo, he has his own blanket we gave him.

Third. He is so mild mannered even timid it seems to all our family, even our cats, except my oldest boy. He is 12 years old, other boy is 10 and daughter is almost 3. That being said hes wonderful with the kds, very loving and patient but when my oldest come home from school or up stairs from his room, the dog jumps all over him and nips at him. Why would he do this just to my oldest son and not anyone else? He gets super active and kind of growls and nips but more playful it seems than agressive. I just wonder why its only my oldest and not the rest?

Last is just some random probably easy questions to answer. His ears are usually erect when listening to something he hears but when called or anyone in the family is near him he puts them back. Is this normal for this type of dog or is it because he is nervous or scared? And last but not least, what are some good places to check on how to train them to fetch? He seems to like to chew on things every so often but when thrown he just looks away from it.

Thanks for taking the time for reading this!

EDIT: Ignore the camera date, forgot to set it!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Magnus. He looks like a Magnus to me. It doesn't have an aggressive tone, but it sounds masculine and noble. Whatever you pick, make sure it doesn't sound like a command you're planning on using. ;)

As to his couch potato and timidity, give it time. Kabota spent the first two weeks with me either on the couch or his doggy bed. Magnus (have to call him something) may well be a couch potato, or he could be stressed out and scared from all the changes like Kabota. It takes about 3 months to see full temperament, so expect things to change. He should really start coming out of his shell around 4 weeks or so. At that point, you'll see play behavior and any bad behavior you'll need to deal with.

Just give him time and take it gently and slowly.

The ears back are probably part and parcel of his fear and stress at the change in his life. Basically, you know this is a good thing for him, he doesn't know that yet, and you can't force him to see it, so you just need to wait for him see it on his own. The biggest mistake people make with rescues is going way too fast and expecting too much too soon. Just give it time.

I don't see nursing the blanket as a problem. It's probably a self soothing behavior, like a human child sucking their thumb. If he starts nursing on other things, just teach a "drop it" and replace with his blanket and he'll learn what's appropriate to nurse on.

I'd wait on training fetch. He's too new to play for right now. Get your sits and stays down, work on recall ("come here") and drop it/leave it, in short, positive sessions after a few days of settling in. when he starts really engaging with you, then you can work on fetch.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I agree with Amaryllis. As to why he is nippy to your older son, it could be that something about your older son attracts him (his voice, or maybe he is a more energetic boy than the other one, it could be anything), and, since he's new to the family, he gets really excited. Teach your son how to react to his properly.

I wanted to name one of my dogs Jasper, but my fiance didn't like it. I also like Wilson and Simon....

·
Registered
482 Posts
He's super cute!!

Both our dogs (an ACD mix and a BC mix, not in the same dog ;)), have erect ears but put them back when approached...I read it as a friendly/submissive gesture, they are usually "smiling" and wiggling/wagging their tails when they do it.

Does your oldest son play with the dog? Play rough at all? Our BC mix nips at my 9 year old and it's because he plays rough, wrestling, games with her and encourages her. She doesn't do it to anyone else.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I like Bandit. However, 'Smokey' has an "S" sound, which, anecdotally, may work better with dogs.

Get him some chew toys, a hard rubber bone and an unstuffed 'plush' toy. If he chews or destroys his toys, that's OK, just make sure he doesn't try to swallow any pieces of the toys.

Nipping: I imagine that he is playing and realizes that he won't hurt the oldest. Read the Sticky: The Bite Stops Here, to teach him Bite Inhibition. Let us know if it doesn't work.

If you've had him fewer than two weeks, he's still getting used to things. He'll grow more confident and so will his ears. On the other hand, he may not like to fetch...

·
Registered
79 Posts
I like the name Jasper that was suggested or maybe Sebastian. Canaqua is correct about the submissive ears - basically deferential and something you want him to be showing for sure. Usually the tail will be low and wagging as well. That cross should be highly energetic, but, as said, it'll take time for him to settle in and get to know everybody as both breeds can be very stranger wary and timid. Lots of confidence building!
Your son probably has a similar personality type that your dog was over comfortable with in the past. As doxiemommy said - make sure you teach your son how to handle the behaviour properly.
For the retrieving, let him pick a toy he likes and rub something really good smelling on it. When he wants it a lot, toss it a short distance and praise him when he gets it. Just work on the getting it for now - do not play keep away! Teach him to 'give' or 'drop it' depending on your preference by exchanging toys for treats and soon you will be able to put them together and the treat will be the game of chasing his toy.
:D

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
I agree with Amaryllis on a couple things. Magnus...very cool!
The nursing, I wouldn't worry. Caeda is a (relatively) well adjusted dog and she "nurses" on a couple of her soft toys quite often, she seems to do it when she is VERY content. Definitely try to teach what is and isn't ok to do that on.....last thing you need is slobber soaked couch cushions lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts