Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I just acquired my first dog a couple months ago shes a year and a half old german shephard/husky cross. shes always been iffy with other dogs but she welcomes humans anytime. during the latest month shes been EXTREMELY aggresive towards other dogs attacking and barking on walks and even when our friend brought his dog into our home she tried to lunge at it. Shes been to the dogpark once and did pretty good with the others but that was a while back. From what ive gathered if i take her there a few time she'll become more social with other dogs but im almost scared to take her for fearfulness of her attacking the others. any way i can go about this aggressiveness

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Some dogs just don't like other dogs--I wouldn't push it. She does not sound like a good candidate for a dog park--I would not take her back.

When you say she is lunging, does it look like she wants to take a bite out of the other dog or wants to greet them?

I know other members have more experience working with getting dogs to like each other, so I'll let them chime in in that area.

·
Registered
11,352 Posts
Shes been to the dogpark once and did pretty good with the others but that was a while back. From what ive gathered if i take her there a few time she'll become more social with other dogs
No No No and No. A dog that is reactive or aggressive towards other dogs does not suddenly become best buds with all of them by being repeatedly set up to fail (as in, being put into a stressful situation with dogs of unknown temperament). Do NOT bring her to a dog park.

On the internet, there isn't really any way to tell easily if your dog is being reactive, fear aggressive or plain out dog aggressive. If you think she has the potential to do harm to another dog (or already has), you need to get with a good trainer. These issues can often be worked with to the point of the dog being safe passing by other dogs on the street or in the general area of other dogs, although I would not ever trust a previously aggressive dog in a dog park situation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well when she went the first time she immiediately loved it and ran around and enjoyed herself tons. a trainer is the best option though you say? are they expensive

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Check with your local shelter. many of them offer Feisty Fido classes. They will teach you how to manage her. Good luck.

·
Registered
11,352 Posts
well when she went the first time she immiediately loved it and ran around and enjoyed herself tons. a trainer is the best option though you say? are they expensive
The fact that she enjoyed it the first trip doesn't mean much if she's been showing substantial aggression issues since then. It is far too much of a risk at this point for her, the other dogs, you and the other owners to take her to a dog park. Even plenty of dog-friendly dogs do not like dog parks, some feel ganged up on or overwhelmed.

Trainers vary widely in price AND in skill. Ask around a lot and make sure to point out that you are asking for a dog that has shown dog aggression. As in, you aren't just looking for a trainer to teach some basic manners to a new puppy or to learn some tricks. I found a good trainer that is very reasonable through a local rescue group who is now using her to rehab some of their dog aggressive and/or abused dogs. Obviously working on a serious issue takes more time and will cost a bit more than a simple obedience class, but even a few hundred dollars on training is a whole lot cheaper than a single vet bill the first time your dog takes a chunk out of another dog.

If you can connect with an experienced dog person, they might be able to watch in person and see her behavior and give you some guidance as to the cause or severity of the aggression. When the other dog came into your home, it might have been a territorial issue or a form of resource guarding, but out and about on walks that shouldn't be part of the problem.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
When you first got her, she might have been too stressed out to be aggressive. You don't see true Temperament for at least 6 weeks. It's possible she's just leash reactive, ie, she's aggressive on leash, but friendly off leash. However, Would you be okay with your being offered up as a sacrifice to make someone else's dig friendly? Me neither.

Also, dog aggression and human aggression are two totally different issues. DA dogs generally aren't HA. Mine wasn't.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts