Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. So I will be getting a new puppy in a couple of weeks from a friend whose dog had puppies. He is going to be an 8 week old Pomeranian/Shih Tzu mix. I just have a couple of questions before my puppy gets here and would appreciate any help. =)

1.) I've made a list of supplies I need to buy beforehand so please let me know if I'm missing anything.
-Crate
-Food/Water Bowls
-Collar/Leash
-Brush/Nail Clippers
-Dog Bed
-Food
-Chew Toys & Basket
-Training Treats

2.) Should I bring the puppy to the vet as soon as I get him or should I wait until after a certain time?

3.) I'm planning on using the Wellness brand of dog food because I've heard good reviews about it but I was a bit confused about whether to use wet or dry food? If I use dry food, should I wet it with water so it's not as difficult for the puppy to chew?

4.) How much should I be feeding my puppy and how often? I heard it was a lot easier to house train the puppy if she gets food at certain times of the day and not allowed access to it all day. Also, can he be fed in his crate if need be?

5.) Should I put toys in her crate for her to play with so she is not bored while I'm at school or work?

6.) Also, I have heard that puppies should not be allowed outside until a certain age. Is this true? If so, how will I begin to house train her? And how soon will I be able to take her for walks?

7.) How often should she be taken outside to use the bathroom? Is every 2 hours sufficient at first?

8.) I have heard good things about Revolution and have read that it is used for both fleas and heartworms. Can I use this medication to prevent both or would I still need two separate medications?

9.) Lastly, can rawhide and pig ears only be used after a certain age or can I begin giving them to my puppy from the beginning?

Sorry for all the questions everyone but I really want to set my dog up for success in my house and I would appreciate any other advice on new puppies! Thank you!

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Read the stickies on this forum's first page, at the top...(they'll answer a lot.)
* Things we wish everyone knew before getting a dog.
and
*Before you get your puppy and basic pet care.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Ian Dunbar has a book designed to be read before you get your dog. It's called, "Before you get your Puppy."

I can't reccomend it enough. Worth the read.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Hey everyone. So I will be getting a new puppy in a couple of weeks from a friend whose dog had puppies. He is going to be an 8 week old Pomeranian/Shih Tzu mix. I just have a couple of questions before my puppy gets here and would appreciate any help. =)

1.) I've made a list of supplies I need to buy beforehand so please let me know if I'm missing anything.
Piddle pads?

2.) Should I bring the puppy to the vet as soon as I get him or should I wait until after a certain time?
If you already know when you're bringing the dog home, I'd make the appointment now to have it seen asap after bringing it home.

3.) I'm planning on using the Wellness brand of dog food because I've heard good reviews about it but I was a bit confused about whether to use wet or dry food? If I use dry food, should I wet it with water so it's not as difficult for the puppy to chew?
Our pup was 8 wks, under 4 lbs, and eating kibbles like a champ when we brought him home from the shelter. How old is the puppy going to be when you bring it home? It should be old enough to eat on its own, and as I understand it, it should be with its mom/littermates until 12 weeks ideally, so it certainly will be eating fine by then. (I wish mine had been with its dog-family longer, but that's not an option with a shelter pup)

4.) How much should I be feeding my puppy and how often? I heard it was a lot easier to house train the puppy if she gets food at certain times of the day and not allowed access to it all day. Also, can he be fed in his crate if need be?
It's a good idea to have it on a schedule. Mine gets 1/4 cup of dry food at 7, 12 and 7. I don't free feed any of my pets though. The only time I've fed him in a crate was for a while we were feeding him in his travel crate to make it a happier place for him. He doesn't ever eat in his "house" crate.

5.) Should I put toys in her crate for her to play with so she is not bored while I'm at school or work?
Our pup has a crate with bed in a pen, so he has a little more safe space than just the crate, and he does have toys with him that he drags into his crate at night. I just make sure to check them daily to make sure he isn't destroying them.

6.) Also, I have heard that puppies should not be allowed outside until a certain age. Is this true? If so, how will I begin to house train her? And how soon will I be able to take her for walks?
It can go out into your yard, if you don't have a bunch of other random dogs in your yard. You don't want to take it to a place where other dogs go because she won't be vaccinated and could get sick. I was able to take mine for walks after his third distemper (12 wks).

7.) How often should she be taken outside to use the bathroom? Is every 2 hours sufficient at first?
Depends on the dog? At 8 wks ours needed to go out every 20-30 minutes. At 15 weeks, he can reliably go an hour, and we're starting to push it to an hour and a half.

8.) I have heard good things about Revolution and have read that it is used for both fleas and heartworms. Can I use this medication to prevent both or would I still need two separate medications?
You'd still need something for ticks, unless you live in an area where there aren't ticks. (Do such places exist?)

9.) Lastly, can rawhide and pig ears only be used after a certain age or can I begin giving them to my puppy from the beginning?
We waited to give rawhides or edible chewies until our pup was completely weaned onto his new food and treats, and we were sure none of that was upsetting his stomach... so he was over 12 wks before he had any, because it took a month to wean him from the shelter food to his current food.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey i have just got myself a pomeranian puppy too, only yesterday actually! My little girl is also 8 weeks. From your list i see you dont have puppy shampoo/dry shampoo or wipes 1 of these would be great as i am finding! Especially if your traveling to get your pup, i had to and she was very travel sick, bless her. Also if you plan on taking her in your garden you may need them then!

And the collar should really only be used to carry a tag, at first use a harness, as poms have can have trouble with collapsing trachea because they are so little. I would take the pup to the vet within a couple of days of getting him just so the vet can get weight etc on file and give him general check-up. I have my pup on dry kibble and she's fine chewing it, so your pup should be too. If not then put i little wet in with the dry and gradually reduce until he's eating all dry.

Your pup should be having 4 small meals a day, because of his breed/s they use heaps of energy and need it replenishing otherwise they can suffer from hypoglycemia, which can kill. The amount you should feed will be on the packaging. For example if it say 100g should be fed in the day for your dogs expected weight, then you give 25g per sitting.

I have been putting a toy in my pups crate, just a little nyla bone for her to chew on.And like the other person said, make sure its checked daily.

I asked my vet about my pup going outside and he said providing its a safe area where no other dogs have access then the pup will be ok as parvo (we have a number of cases just outside of town at the min) is contracted via soiled ground, from infected dogs poop and pees. At the min every 2 hours sounds about right but u might wanna reduce the time in the day, just to make sure you catch it!

For fleas/worming/tick medication i would go to your vet, they know what is best for your pup.

And the rawhide i would wait until he's home a settled into his feeding routine before introducing other treats/food. Pomeranians only have tiny stomachs so just a couple mouthfuls of that will fill him up and put him off his dinner!

Also top tip i was told you find a really good food that he likes you could use that as his treats when training! Wait until its dinner before doing a training session use his regular food as treats, he'll think he's doing good coz he's getting treats, you'll get the training done and you'll know he's had a good meal, even if he has had to work for it! lol

Good luck with your pup x

1 - 6 of 6 Posts