Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

About two months ago we got a shelter dog. He was a stray so we're unsure of his exact age or breed but our best guess is a 6-8 year old Golden Retrieve/Yellow Lab mix. He is in good health but appears to have arthritis and has trouble getting up and down at the end of the day. I have him on Glucosamine but if I don't see an improvement soon, I'll take him to the vet.

The shelter was feeding him Hill Science Diet and they said he did fine on that. I switched him to Nutro Natural Large Breed and he went downhill fast. It was almost as if it was poisoning him. He would weave when he walked and just seemed to feel terrible. I switched him to Blue Buffalo and he had diarrhea for the month that the bag lasted. Horrible mess. Right now he's on Pedigree. I know it's crap but it cleared up his diarrhea.

Can someone recommend a good food?

Thanks so much. :)

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Nutro has had quite a few recalls, and has been involved in the deaths and illnesses of a lot of dogs.

If the food you are on is working for him, don't change it. Feed your dog what does best for him.

There are other good foods out there, but if your dog is doing good on Pedigree, you don't need to switch it.

Other good foods though are...

Wellness
Innova
Chicken Soup
And there's lots more..

I'm feeding Natural Balance Allergy formula, and it cleared up my dogs nasty poo.

You can also put some plain yogurt in the food for a little while to help bring back the good bacteria in the stomach.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Oh, what a sweet face! I agree with the previous poster. Don't change the food if it's working, especially since the others have been causing problems.

·
Registered
207 Posts
He's very sweet looking. We had a big old yellow lab with a very delicate digestive system and one of the only foods she could eat without problems was Pedigree. While it may be a "junk food" type of food, if it works for your guy then it's the perfect food for him. They used to have a sensitive systems food that she was on until she passed away and she did well. We were also told to keep her on the lean side to help with her severe hip dysplasia, we did and she lived to be 11 years old and never needed medication for her hips. Enjoy your big loveable lug.

·
Registered
5,931 Posts
I have read that a grain free diet is good for a dog with arthritis; we adopted a dog at age 11 with arthritis and hip dysplasia. She has been on Wellness Core's Reduced fat and done wonderfully! I get a little scared with the grainfree's that have quite high protein, the Core is 35% I think, I feel better with that than 42% of some. Is he overweight at all? If he is, you should look for a grainfree with lower carb, which is Core. Natural Balance makes some grainfree's but they are moderate carb.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks a lot for the info. I'm really disgusted by all the problems I've read about dog owners having with Nutro. I thought I was doing a good thing for him buying that food.

I'll look into Wellness. He is a big lug and such a nice, sweet boy. :)

Oh, and right now, no he is not overweight. He seems to be at a healthy weight. He was underweight when we got him. I'll make sure to watch his weight though because of the arthritis/pain.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts