Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We have two dogs, Mia is almost 2, Luna is almost 1. They are Tibetan Terriers which is not a terrier, closer to the temperament of a sheepdog.

They sleep on our bed. Mia has slept with us for 18 months and never gets up at night. The puppy has slept with us for 4 months and has only woken us a few times. She was in a crate but we put the house on the market and took the crate out of our bedroom. They get along fine and have a great time chasing and sleeping together while we are at work.

Mia is a mommies girl but she has taken to her little sister really well. She is an odd dog, a bit stand offish but loving at the same time. She will not take a treat from a stranger. Luna is a laid back, loves everyone kind of dog.

Anyway... (if you are still reading thank you)

For the past 3 nights the older dog, Mia has woken me with her little whines. I get up to take her out and then she just sits in place. So, I pick her up and put her on the bed and she goes right up to my spot and lays down to sleep.

First thought would be that she wants to dominate. That could be it but it seems very odd all of a sudden. She was the alpha in her litter but she is the type of dog who will wait at an open gate for me to tell her to walk through. Generally, she is very aware of her place in the house and respectful and loving.

At first I thought I was kicking her off in my sleep and she was asking for permission to jump back up on the bed. But, she often comes in when we are sleeping when the older kids are still up and just jumps up to go to sleep.

Any thoughts or are you as clueless as I am?

Side note: Our last dog was a maltese, 8 lbs and easy to sleep with. We are finding that sleeping with two 20# dogs isn't always fun because usually one of us is trapped between two dogs. Mia likes to sleep by our shoulders which is fine but Luna goes in or on top of our legs. So we are going to train them to sleep on beds on the floor. Guess we weren't think ahead. I have no idea how some sleep with large dogs!

Thanks!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Not sure why no one would at least take a moment to respound to your post. I just saw it now getting ready to sleep, and with both my dogs in there own beds. You answered your own question, once they have there own beds, life will improve for you and your dogs. Your sleep is very important.

Selecting the right bed is very important, I live in cold country so a slumber bed they really like, and they dig a deep hole in it and snuggle up for a good peaceful nights sleep. During the summer I change there beds to a more firmer type. Yes they are spoiled, but they are worth it:p

Oh, your dogs sound quite normal to me, they are just smart and testing what they can get away with:)

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help.

My husband got up with her at 3am and she did go outside. I think a trip to the vet might be in order since this is sudden and not normal for her. Could be that it's behavioral but I'd like to rule out any sort of bladder infection etc. Not likely though since she's not going more during the day. Mia is an odd dog!

We live in WI and turn the heat down to 65 at night, not that bad but they do tunnel around in the blankets.

Where did you get the beds and does each dog know his/her own bed? Mine tend to sleep together on one big polar fleece, stuffed pillow during the day.

It's finally going to get above 50 this weekend! :eek:

·
Registered
29 Posts
just wanted to mention something about the dominance. even if your dog seems to know its place in the pack rah rah rah, they will still push the limits occasionally to see if your still strong, if your still worthy to be leader. those little things obviously have to be stopped such as getting them to sleep in their own beds, but i just wanted to point out that although your dog seems to know its place it doesnt mean it wont make sure YOU still know YOUR place

sounds like you have great dogs though!!
:)

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
True and she was the alpha in her litter which I did not know until later. BUT, when they wake at night it's hard to take the chance that this time they really do have to go outside. Our house is on the market and an accident would not be good.

I asked my husband why he got up with her and he said that we have a showing today and he didn't want to take the chance.

I know I will have resistance to kicking them off of our bed so I plan on gating them into the area of our bedroom that I want them to sleep in. We have these cool gates that form to any shape. Luna, the younger dog can jump them but normally won't.

Thanks!

·
Registered
962 Posts
Dr Fosters & Smith is where I got my beds, they have a extensive selection, and they have a good return policy if not satisfied.

Our first dog was a doberman and he liked to sleep in the middle of the bed, and when we woke up in the morning my wife and I were almost off the bed. He would push us out during the long night sleep. We did not know better and went over board for him. But I now know why I was always sleepy during the wake up hours:)

Sounds like your selling your house, good luck, your dogs impress me to have alot of personality!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts