Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,782 Posts
The lowest cost and safest option is usually a shelter or rescue because the adoption fee usually includes their vaccinations and their spay/neuter. If I remember correctly my dog even came with 6 months of tick preventative/dewormer, but that might not be all shelters or rescues. Puppies are also have more expensive adoption fees for obvious reasons...everyone wants a puppy. But, my puppy's adoption fee was still about the same cost as his annual vet wellness exam, vaccinations, and tick/flea preventative and dewormer, so I thought it was a good deal.

One negative of getting a dog from a shelter/rescue is that they're a bit of a wild card. They might know who the mom is, but they often don't know the dad, so the adult size and temperament of the puppies is often unknown.

I often see litters of puppies on Craigslist or other sites for oops litters (and some that were on purpose), but rehoming fees are usually $200+ dollars, and might include the first vaccinations and deworming, but nothing else. They can also be a bit of a wild card, and you have to watch out for scams.

Other options for low-cost dogs are adoption events at local shelters. In my area, this is most often senior dogs being free to senior adopters, or sometimes a donor will sponsor the adoption fee of a dog or dogs. This event does not often extend to puppies, though.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts