Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Administrator
12,606 Posts
Selling or rehoming a live animal is strictly against forum rules, but perhaps you will get some tips on how to find one.

Rescues frequently DO have puppies - sometimes entire litters - but a good rescue has a lot of expenses and typically an adoption fee of $300 or more.

·
Banned
141 Posts
I would look for oops litters. Not backyard breeders doing it on purpose, but people who genuinely had a problem and are just searching for good homes for their one and only litter of puppies.

Or I would ask a shelter about dogs whose owners died or are terminally ill. This happens, unfortunately, and these well behaved canines need a home too!

I frequently encounter these people walking their neighbour's dog. The neighbour has health issues; I wish her well. But this nice couple walks their 12 year old dog. Such an arrangement could be mutually beneficial.

·
Super Moderator
3,843 Posts
The lowest cost and safest option is usually a shelter or rescue because the adoption fee usually includes their vaccinations and their spay/neuter. If I remember correctly my dog even came with 6 months of tick preventative/dewormer, but that might not be all shelters or rescues. Puppies are also have more expensive adoption fees for obvious reasons...everyone wants a puppy. But, my puppy's adoption fee was still about the same cost as his annual vet wellness exam, vaccinations, and tick/flea preventative and dewormer, so I thought it was a good deal.

One negative of getting a dog from a shelter/rescue is that they're a bit of a wild card. They might know who the mom is, but they often don't know the dad, so the adult size and temperament of the puppies is often unknown.

I often see litters of puppies on Craigslist or other sites for oops litters (and some that were on purpose), but rehoming fees are usually $200+ dollars, and might include the first vaccinations and deworming, but nothing else. They can also be a bit of a wild card, and you have to watch out for scams.

Other options for low-cost dogs are adoption events at local shelters. In my area, this is most often senior dogs being free to senior adopters, or sometimes a donor will sponsor the adoption fee of a dog or dogs. This event does not often extend to puppies, though.

·
Registered
Cat-dog, GSD spayed female and Tornado-dog, JRT mix, neutered male
1,287 Posts
I recommend you contact rescues and shelters personally and talk to them about what you are looking for. Be sure to contact shelters outside of just your city/county shelter - a shelter 2 counties away may have just what you are looking for.

Explain your circumstances and be honest. A good rescue or shelter can work with you to find a good match.

Also, while a puppy may seem best to you, don't rule out an older dog. They may have an adult dog who was just meant to be your support dog.

While shelters and rescues don't seem to have puppies, it is mostly because they get adopted as soon as they become available. The best way to "get in the front of the line" is to make contact and get them actively working for you.

You can also contact support groups, etc, for your mental health issues and ask them for help. They may know of a program to reduce the adoption fee, or even programs that adopt out support dogs. If you have a mental health physician, you can also ask them for options.

I would steer clear of craigslist, etc. While there may be an "oops litter", in my experience they are extremely rare and 99% of what you find are backyard breeders, puppy mills, and scams. Taking your chance there will likely result in more expense than the "high priced" adoption fee of a rescue/shelter.

Contact your local vets and let them know you are looking. That is the best way to find an "oops litter". Visit your local pet stores and talk to the employees, they may have had someone mention having a litter. And again, talk to your local rescues - many people who have "oops litters" will contact the rescue groups to take the puppies and oftentimes the rescue cannot but will agree to refer potential homes to those people.

As for fees, remember that while a puppy adoption is higher, it does most often include neutering (worth about $100-$400) plus at least the first set of shots ($30-$80). I recommend that you start setting aside your monthly dog expense money starting now. The money you are not putting out in dog food now can help pay for that adoption fee later.

Also, adoption fees vary between jurisdictions, so again look beyond just your city/county shelter. The county next door may have lower fees. And each jurisdiction can vary on the breeds/mixes they get. Lower income jurisdictions tend to have the pits, bullies, shepherds, huskies (the new fad), and chihuahuas and mixes with those breeds. Higher income jurisdictions are more likely to have other breeds. A jurisdiction in a big hunting region will likely have hunting and sporting breeds and mixes, and so on.

Reactions: Sparkles2022

·
Administrator
12,606 Posts
My apologies to all I was informed I posted content that is not allowed. I did not mean to do so but I'm sorry just the same. I've tried to remove it and will attempt to remove myself as well. Again I am truly sorry.
You have not broken any rules here. If you had, the thread would be gone.

I was only pointing out that if anyone offered to sell or give you a dog here, THEY would be breaking rules.

You've gotten some good action advice here and may get more, so it would seem to make sense for you to stick around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts