Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.I have a 12 week old shih tzu baby boy. He is up to date on his vaccinations (3 rounds) and has been checked for worms. He is on a grain-free diet and is very active and healthy.

Recently, he started shedding a TON -- thin, wispy hairs are going everywhere. He's registered with AKC as a shih tzu so I know he's purebred. Theoretically shih tzu shedding should be almost undetectable but he's shedding a lot. Could be be shedding his puppy coat this early or is this something less benign? :(

·
Registered
928 Posts
Hi everyone.I have a 12 week old shih tzu baby boy. He is up to date on his vaccinations (3 rounds) and has been checked for worms. He is on a grain-free diet and is very active and healthy.

Recently, he started shedding a TON -- thin, wispy hairs are going everywhere. He's registered with AKC as a shih tzu so I know he's purebred. Theoretically shih tzu shedding should be almost undetectable but he's shedding a lot. Could be be shedding his puppy coat this early or is this something less benign? :(
A shih tzu puppy can shed it's puppy coat and grow in it's adult coat anywhere from 3-9 months.
So I think that's your safest bet :).

"It is normal and expected and an owner should not be concerned.
It is a natural process and the only thing that you can do to help is to brush and comb your puppy more often than normal to help keep the dead hairs out of the coat…. When airs can circulate freely and the dog is not weighed down by shedding hairs, it coat can grow in without obstacles."
-Source

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the reply!! That source is great - his shedding is definitely more of a "blowing coat." Thanks again :D

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
Shih Tzu are considered a non-shedding breed so they do not "blow their coats". At his age he should not be losing any hair. Their adult coat starts to come in at around 7-9 months and even then they should not shed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts