Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. Just viewed a thread from a while back on pros/cons of neutering and I have a bit of a different situation here and am wondering if it warrants consideration as far as neutering goes.

My pup is 16 weeks old and is scheduled to be neutered in three weeks. The doc said he'd recommend sooner than later. His breed is 1/2 husky and 1/2 shepherd/lab.

He'll be a big boy and some voiced concern about neutering large breeds before growth is complete.

We live in a remote setting in the woods on 64 acres. Nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away. Nobody beyond that for a couple miles. We have chickens, pigs, gardens and children (not listed in order of priority!) and our dogs have been very necessary in protecting all from marauders, as well as keeping humans with ill intentions away when we're out for an evening or afternoon . My concern is that, in our setting and for the protective qualities we need in our dog, will neutering take away his protective-aggressive potential? He is a very gentle and remarkably calm dog so far. He's easily trainable and even avoids the chickens when they're ranging. He "woofs" a few times at guests then greets them happily once he sees they're welcomed. Nothing extreme. We would be willing to put up invisible fencing to keep him from roaming if that means preserving his protective nature.

In our setting and situation, protectiveness, and even marking territory is essential. How might neutering affect this? Thank's in advance for any insight and advice.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
My personal experience is that neutering does not change the personality of a dog. If he is protective by nature that won't change. I would be more concerned about the growth issue and neutering him so early. You might try some breed clubs in your area. Or find a local dog show so you can attend and ask breeders what they suggest.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts