Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I am new to the forum. We would love to get a dog, but I have allergic reactions to some but not all dogs. I seem to be most reactive to dog saliva, even in "hypoallergenic" dogs. For example, I met a coton de touler yesterday and got hives after he licked me. Does anyone have advice about dogs that are less problematic for allergy sufferers? Many thanks!

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Welcome. What dogs haven't you reacted to? Are you planning to adopt through a shelter or rescue, or find a breeder? The best thing to do is to spend time with the dog or breed (and your breeder's dogs, once you find one) and see what happens. Maybe start with the type of dogs you haven't reacted to. Allergies can be very individual. Also, you might consider what you'll do if you happen to begin to react to your dog once you have him since new allergies can develop at any time.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
There is some highly technical information on this question. See:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23464525

The full article can be found at
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3652036/
It says:
When investigating saliva from different dog breeds, we noted that there is a great variation in the IgE-binding profile. Interestingly, we found fewer IgE-binding proteins in saliva from some dogs, including the Golden Retriever and Dogue de Bordeaux, than in saliva from other dogs. Even though the number of samples is limited, the results indicate that some dogs could be better tolerated by allergic subjects than others. In several studies, it has been shown that the presence and quantity of Can f 1 can differ among dander extracts from different dogs 8, 27. One study showed that Can f 1 is absent or less abundant in some common breeds including Golden Retriever 8, while another study showed that Can f 1 levels in Labrador Retriever dander extracts were significantly lower than in extracts from other breeds 27. It is well established that gender, age and eczema status influence the concentration of Can f 1 quantities in hair, but it is not clear if individual differences are more relevant than breed-specific factors 8, 27.

It might be worth chasing down the lead author's email address and writing to him asking for suggestions. They may have learned more about breed variation since this article was published . . . and scientists generally love to talk about the implications of their research ... including translation into terms that common people can understand. I wouldn't go out and get a Golden or Dogue based on this . . . sounds like they just tested a handful of dogs to look for breed differences and their findings about breed are far from conclusive. Trying GR, Dogue, and Labrador might be worth a throw, however.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts