Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I'm new here, but have been coming to this forum daily since they day we got our puppy.

We adopted our little girl about a month ago. She just turned 13 weeks today. She is about 7lbs. The rescue center said she was a Spaniel/Lab mix, but I'm beginning to highly doubt this. I have been looking around online after hearing different thoughts. I'm thinking possibly Jack Russel/Patterdale Terrier mix? Honestly, I have no clue. All I know is that I was attacked by a Jack Russel when I was younger and have always feared them since. We are thinking of DNA testing, just to know.

Anyway, I was looking for opinions on what you may think she is. Here are some pictures of Stella (also known as Miss Stella)

The day we got Stella:

A week or two ago, fighting the sleep:

A couple days ago on the couch:

Her "Walk like an Egyptian" sleepy pose:

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Patterdale Terriers are extremely rare outside of their native England so I doubt that very much. I could see lab X spaniel in your pup. Why do you find it hard to believe? and maybe if your dog is part Russel it will help you get over your fears.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
I wouldn't doubt there's terrier in there somewhere. I find Lab Spaniel to be hard to believe completely due to the coat texture

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Patterdale Terriers are extremely rare outside of their native England so I doubt that very much. I could see lab X spaniel in your pup. Why do you find it hard to believe? and maybe if your dog is part Russel it will help you get over your fears.
As Xeph stated, it has a lot to do with the coat. She is slightly wire-haired (or whatever it is called). It also has to do with her size. She is too tiny to be a lab and I just don't see the spaniel. I grew up with cocker spaniels, so maybe I need to research the other spaniels.

If she is part Russell, I believe that will help me get over my fears. I believe I'm scared of them because of poor training (and the fact that the owner's said it was tied up, but he really wasn't. And he had bitten 3 others before myself and a few more people after me before they moved.)

Thanks for the opinions everyone!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I do not think there is any patterdale or jack russel due to the head shape.
Hope this helps
Stripe

(edited to say)
After reading that it has a wire haired coat do you have smooth haired lakeland terriers over there?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I do not think there is any patterdale or jack russel due to the head shape.
Hope this helps
Stripe

(edited to say)
After reading that it has a wire haired coat do you have smooth haired lakeland terriers over there?
I found on Google that Lakeland Terriers are recognized by the AKC. I've never heard of them before though.

·
Registered
40 Posts
the face shape almost makes me think fox terrier .... and the coat makes me think retriever ... that poofy goldness, but there could be a little spaniel too, its really hard to tell when they are so young.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Ah my pictures loaded a bit pixlelated. I didn't notice the coat texture. I supose if it is wirehaired it probably has some sort of terrier in it. Jack and Parson Russles are both pretty common in the US it seems so I wouldn't rule them out

1 - 10 of 10 Posts