Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

I have an 11 wk old chihuahua female and an 8 yr. old chi male. I need to leave to go to work around 6:00 a.m. and I don’t get home until around 4:00 p.m. My daughter has been coming over around 12:30 to play with the puppy and take the dogs outside.

I am trying different ways to train her. I have 2 potty pad boxes (1 in the bathroom) and (1 in a wire pen that is set up for her in the living room, which can be expanded. In it I have a little bed for her to sleep in).

I keep her little kennel in the bathroom. I’ve been trying to get her to sleep in her kennel through the night. She cried her heart out last night, but finally stopped and slept until around 12:30 p.m. when I had to get up. I played with her a bit and she did go potty then. Then I put her back in her kennel until 4:00 a.m. when I had to get up. During the day I have been leaving her in the bathroom with her kennel door open. I think she is finally getting used to it because, that is the only place where she can lay down in comfort. I have soft a soft blanket in it and her stuffies.

What my question is, she hates to go outside when it’s really cold and fights like a mule. The only time she will go is when my other dog goes out, but the leashes can get twisted up. Taco, the male, is trained to go outside.

It’s like a comedy of errors when I first get home. She starts crying and gets all excited. Taco will hide under the bed when he sees me coming with the leash. Will it ever get any better???

What can I do to get a routine down more smoothly? Taco only needs to go out 1st thing in the morning, when I get home @ 4:00 p.m., and then right before bed time (around 9:00 p.m.)

Any advice on how to train the puppy? Is it wrong to have a pen in the living room and a crate in the bathroom? Sometimes I have her out in the kitchen with me when I'm working out there (with a gate across the doorway). I usually bring a potty pad box out there with us, plus some newspapers.

I know I've been very long-winded, but I sure can use some advice!!!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts