Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we are picking up our 8 week old puppy this week but are going away in 3 week for a 21 day holiday. would it be too stressful to remove the puppy from the mother and then return her to the mother when we are on holidays ( as the breeders are happy to look after her while we are away). I have the option to leave the puppy with her mum until we return from holidays at which stage we will get her when she will be 14 week old.
Any Ideas !!!! Thanks

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
I would say take the puppy home and get in some valuable training/socialization in the 3 weeks that you have.

·
Registered
12 Posts
You could leave the puppy at the breeders until you come back from holiday. As then the pup wont get confused by you being their then disappearing for 21 days.

·
Registered
549 Posts
It depends on the breeder and how likely they are to socialize the puppy properly in that time. I definitely wouldn't bring a puppy home if I was going to leave for 21 days in 3 weeks though... I'd wait until I came back.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I am looking to adopt a puppy soon. However we also have a 10 day vacation planned for August. I thought about getting a puppy now but decided it wouldn't be fair to bring one home only to leave it with family for 10 days when we go away. If it were me, I would wait.

·
Registered
35 Posts
All depends on how you feel and how the breeder feels. I wouldn't bring home a new puppy then leave that soon after getting it but I'm also the kind of person that dosnt go on vacation, or even over night trips because I dont want to leave my animals.

·
Super Moderator
2,921 Posts
I would take the 3 weeks to get some socialization and training in. You can do a lot in 3 weeks! Would the breeder still be willing to puppy-sit even if you take her at 8 weeks? I think that the puppy would be far less stressed getting to go back to a relatively familiar place while you're on holiday, too, and the breeder will probably continue the socialization (hopefully) while you're away.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Personally, I'd take the puppy now, do all I could in 3 weeks then, send her to a board and train kennel I know in my area that is very good while I was on vacations. I would not take the puppy back to the breeder. If I had to, I'd find another reputable kennel to board the puppy in for my vacation. At the least a new boarding kennel would still be helping with socialization.

I do travel with my dogs and, they have to get used to being in different places, meeting new people and new animals of all sorts. I need them to have a "Mom took me here so, it's okay." attitude and, the more place they go while young, the better they adopt that attitude.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Kennels are not supervised though - either your dog is basically in a kennel alone all day, or the dogs are loose together, and you never know what might happen to a puppy. I'm not even sure that they would accept a puppy that doesn't have all its vaccines anyway...

Besides, it would cost a fortune. The only other option IMO would be to find a dog sitter who's willing to do the work.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts